• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Heavyweight Tees Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's popular heavyweight tees are now restocked, in three styles, so there is something for every style. They are available in three classic colors: white, black, and the heather grey featured here.. These high quality tees are staples that work in every seasons. Check them out here here

If you have any questions for the designer, please, he is a valued and active member and sponsor of the community, and can be found here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OCBD Shirts: Pocket or No Pocket Poll

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't bother me either way...

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mccvi
For all those who said yes to pockets, for what on earth do you use them?

boarding pass, music player, biz cards (before stuffing them in wallet / bag), little cards with random notes (havent fully warmed up to my smartphone yet), hastity drawn maps, train tickets

random stuff here or there.

csheehan

Reaction score
At one time I didn't care whether any shirt had or did not have a pocket. Now that I need reading glasses, I want all my shirts to have a pocket.

Hany

Reaction score
Cellphone between calls, credit cards when expecting to pay, tips you're about to give, paper with phone number/address/notes/etc. Very useful for shirts worn without a jacket such as ocbds. EDIT: TLM beat me to it I see...

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For looking good.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find a pocket generally looks cluttered. It doesn't kill me either way, but given the choice I'd rather not have one. And with a must-iron OCBD you almost always have the choice since the coarse, "self-healing" nature of oxford cloth makes it easy to remove the pocket without leaving any traces of its existence.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If your office building requires you to use a touchcard, it's more convenient to keep in a breast pocket.

NaturalShoulder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
boarding pass, music player, biz cards (before stuffing them in wallet / bag), little cards with random notes (havent fully warmed up to my smartphone yet), hastity drawn maps, train tickets

random stuff here or there.

I didn't realize how much I used the pocket on mine until I ordered two without pockets. I find myself reaching to put things in a non-existent pocket. From now on pockets on all future OCBDs.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
If your office building requires you to use a touchcard, it's more convenient to keep in a breast pocket.

Ouch. I assume youare also using a neck lanyard, as well? I clip min to my belt, keeping it hidden by my coat. No lanyard required.

khakijeans

Reaction score
I don't use the pocket and don't like them on my nice dress shirts but I think they're fine aesthetically on an OCBD. I wear the later as sport shirts and if anything the pocket helps dress them down further than the buttondown collar and coarser fabric do alone. If I want greater formality, I'm going to switch to a different collar and fabric before I even concern myself with the pocket.

The Brooks OCBD didn't have a pocket until the 60's, I believe, so there's a RTW precedent for the no-pocket OCBD.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No pockets...Put your phone in your jacket .

I can't stand shirts with pockets if not casual...

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To store my pocket protector....duh!
laugh.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What TLM said -- Boarding pass, glasses, the occasional pen, and other knickknacks. Even when I'm in a suit or wearing a blazer, I usually tend to take the jacket off, so sometimes it's just a convenient place to put things.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScentedClown