• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OCBD roundup (with pictures)

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, so by now, most of you have read my ramblings re: my neverending quest for the perfect slim OCBD (still haven't found it). I know a few other posters who are in a similar situation, so I thought it might be helpful to compile all this stuff in one place. Feel free to post your own experiences with other brands.

H&M:
4335cead.jpg

$20~$50
Usually not actual oxford cloth, but buttondown collars tend to be available. Fits slim and reasonably long, but often have weird details like black/bright colored buttons, and seemingly random contrast stitching. Decently tapered, despite lack of darts/sewn down back pleat. Collars are small and, in the words of Teger, "eat dick."

RL Rugby:
rugby.jpg

$70
Oxford cloth is soft & lightweight, solid shirts are cut slimmer than striped ones. Collars are decently-sized, but are too flimsy to have a really nice roll. Fit is nothing to write home about; armholes are low. The collars have a third button in the back, which I personally like.

American Apparel:
aa.jpg

$55
Pinpoint oxford, has a little sheen and is very flimsy. Drapes badly. The colors are markedly different than your traditional Brooks Brothers variety, but not different enough to make it obvious that the shirts aren't supposed to be classic (e.g., instead of light pink, they have this weird coral color that I'm wearing in the photo). On the plus side, these go down to XXS, which most mall stores don't. FWIW, I'm wearing an XS AA oxford, while I'm wearing smalls in the other brands

Kent Wang x Thick as Thieves:
E82G9748.jpg

$105
Thin & lightweight, but high quality, royal oxford cloth. Thicker MoP buttons than I've ever seen before. Fits decently slim, and Kent plans to introduce a size 14.5 version soon (his current smallest is a 15), but seems to work best tucked. Details (no back pleat, mitered cuffs, slight sheen to fabric, no front placket) also make it dressier.

Brooks Brothers Black Fleece
(No picture, since Brooks Brothers' mirrors skew things to make you look taller & slimmer)
$150
Very heavy oxford cloth, nice MoP buttons, awesome collar roll. 3/4 length placket makes it awkward to wear untucked. Fit is decently slim, but not especially tapered. Armholes are very high, but sleeves are comically short.

Band of Outsiders
~$250 retail, easily had for less on sale/Gilt/B&S
E82G0541-1.jpg

Also great fabric, buttons, & collar roll. Perfect for a lot of folks, but a bit too short for a gawky kid like me.

Possibly coming soon: Shipley & Halmos, Thick as Thieves (if/when Jason decides to make some OCBD's), Jump the Gun UK (not oxford cloth, but nice buttondowns nevertheless), Made-to-Measure

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about Gitman?

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Krell is too big for him isnt it? It seems BoO is boxy on him in XS...Krell is not as fitted.

Honestly WWMK, I would just go to a tailor and get a custom shirt. It costs less than most of the shirts you listed and youll be perfectly happy while leaving BoO size Smalls for me.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never give up. If worse comes to worse, you could always just invest more money in food and less in oxfords.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adamha21
What about Gitman?

I was going to say this, I've heard good things.

Wmmk just find a shirt that fits well in the chest and shoulders, take it to a tailor and have him put a couple darts and shorten it for you that's what I did with a pos shirt I had. Be careful with the length, it may appear fine when you point out what you want but may end up too short as mine did.

Smahatma

Reaction score
That BoO looks straight up clownish on you.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smahatma
That BoO looks straight up clownish on you.

sssssssh don't tell them. I'm patiently waiting for the hipster uniform fit to creep into the bizarre fits it has been bordering on for the past few years. a cropped jacket/shirt fit is one thing but I can't help but laugh at the clowns wearing Boo fit where the hem is a quarter inch above their waist when they move.

gangsters in xxxl long shirts and dickies belted below their ass have a better excuse for such abortion fits.

I've got my fingers crossed for cinched arm holes and shirts cut at cropped vest length. Slap a Boo label on it and we are all good.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do people spend so much on shirts trying to find a good cut? Just take them to a tailor and have them fit perfectly for $15.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I like how his teeth match his shirt.

While I commend the monochrome tie, shirt, pocket square, teeth, hair look, the shirt clearly clashes with his rosacea.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As i've said elsewhere, I think the fit on the Rugby shirt looks great. The KW shirt looks pretty good too.

Did you ever end up getting a rugby shirt altered to bring in the arms and body? IIRC, you were balking at this for some reason that I didn't understand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads