• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OCBD: MTM v BBBF

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
With the Fathers Day sale coming up at Brooks Brothers and the BBBF OCBD's already on sale I was curious what peoples thoughts were on this matter. Would you go MTM (moderntailor) or with the BBBF, is the quality of the BB that much higher? I did a search, but nothing exactly on this topic came up. What I get is that the collar roll of the BB is hard to replicate, but I imagine moving the collar buttons up a 1/4" on the mtm shirt would help in that. Thanks for any opinions on the matter. If these go on sale cheaper for fathers day (2 for 150?) then the cost is about the same, but otherwise the mtm is around $40 cheaper.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The BBBF fabric is quite nice and thick. Do you know how that compares to MT?

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
I do not, but mt has a pretty wide variety of oxfords and I imagine their customer service could identify the closest.

Edit: If anyone has experience with these fabrics a review would be appreciated.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like my MTM Brooks Brothers OCBDs. Just make sure you stipulate no lining in the collar--they will put it in, otherwise. I don't see much of an advantage to going with Black Fleece, unless you'd save a lot of money.

Also, from my understanding, good oxford cloth should be softer and lighter than what Brooks currently uses. Mercer & Sons OCBD's are much softer and lighter, for example.

dmac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Also, from my understanding, good oxford cloth should be softer and lighter than what Brooks currently uses. Mercer & Sons OCBD's are much softer and lighter, for example.

I have both BB MTM and Mercer OCBDs. I agree that Mercer are softer and lighter and produce a better collar roll. I have not tried the Black Fleece.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, my BBBF shirts have pretty much disintegrated over the last year. in two of them, the fabric has essentially ripped away from the button holes on the cuffs and another one the threads came away where the shoulder meets the sleeve. my regular BB shirts have held up better.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
FWIW, my BBBF shirts have pretty much disintegrated over the last year. in two of them, the fabric has essentially ripped away from the button holes on the cuffs and another one the threads came away where the shoulder meets the sleeve. my regular BB shirts have held up better.

+1 I found almost everything on my BBBF shirts to be lacking. Fabric is heavy but cheap feeling, fit is poor (large billowy arms), button fell off after a week.

The collar roll is nice, but the regular BB shirts have it so no point buying BBBF IMO.

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
i have a BBBF OCBD and love it. is the fathers day sale anything additional off the prices currently on the site?

jhva3

Reaction score
I like BBBF shirts, but only buy them when they are on sale for $50. Not worth full price, but I think the fabric is a little bit nicer than traditional BB shirts and have not had any problems with them so far.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But wouldn't you guys say that an RLBQ HRPD TTWRF is superior to a BBBF OCBD? My favorite though is still a TBRWTEE with HRFCD - those are awesome.

Exalt

Reaction score
I just got a letter in the mail about BB's 40% off sale starting on June 21st... so perhaps if getting BBBF, you should wait a few days.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the BBBF OCBDs run shorter than the regular BB.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer the regular BB OCBD slim-fit over the BB BF. I bought several BF shirts that I no longer wear.

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
A lot of great info, thanks for the help guys. I checked out Mercers, and found their measurements to be cut too full for my taste. I think I will just keep an eye out for a good deal on some extra slim bb's during the fathers day sale.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
But wouldn't you guys say that an RLBQ HRPD TTWRF is superior to a BBBF OCBD? My favorite though is still a TBRWTEE with HRFCD - those are awesome.

I'm not aware of those abbreviations and nothing came up on a site search. Can you please elaborate?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads