1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

OCBD + darts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by loreley, Nov 16, 2010.

1. loreley

loreley Senior Member

Sorry if this belongs in the men's clothing forum, but I couldn't seem to find a def. answer....

Do darts "belong" on an OCBD shirt where there is a center box pleat in the rear? Or would it look out of place?

2. 1969

1969 Distinguished Member

Scott Steinberg has a fucking yacht based on this combination. Not sure if that answers your question though.

3. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I don't like the look myself.

I suggest you wear them if you like them. It is personal taste.

4. Listi

Listi Distinguished Member

Sorry if this belongs in the men's clothing forum, but I couldn't seem to find a def. answer.... Do darts "belong" on an OCBD shirt where there is a center box pleat in the rear? Or would it look out of place?
    [​IMG] Decide for yourself. I think it looks fine, although I'd prefer side pleats with darts. Aware that the BoO center pleat/dart is a bit of its own beast, but similar enough to get the idea. ps: how did context size that shirt so wrong for the model, those shoulders are depressing.

5. hamm23

hamm23 Senior Member

Scott Steinberg has a fucking yacht based on this combination. Not sure if that answers your question though.

I believe you're trying to reference Scott Sternberg...

6. loreley

loreley Senior Member

[​IMG]

Decide for yourself. I think it looks fine, although I'd prefer side pleats with darts. Aware that the BoO center pleat/dart is a bit of its own beast, but similar enough to get the idea.

ps: how did context size that shirt so wrong for the model, those shoulders are depressing.

Maybe I have my terminology wrong, but the "box pleat" on my OCBD is just an inch or so across and down. It's an AA shirt fwiw....

7. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Distinguished Member

Maybe I have my terminology wrong, but the "box pleat" on my OCBD is just an inch or so across and down. It's an AA shirt fwiw....

That's because it's not pressed, so all the fullness only gathers at the exact point of the fold or pleat.

Also don't buy AA shirts. They suck, they are worse than the Gap.

8. loreley

loreley Senior Member

That's because it's not pressed, so all the fullness only gathers at the exact point of the fold or pleat.

Also don't buy AA shirts. They suck, they are worse than the Gap.

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing this "full press" isn't something I can achieve with just an iron?

9. benjamin831

benjamin831 Distinguished Member

Darts and boxpleats make a weird combination, but sometimes you have no choice.

10. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Senior Member

[​IMG]

ps: how did context size that shirt so wrong for the model, those shoulders are depressing.

Yeah, I've noticed that few stores fit their models w/ BoO properly. Maybe b/c they don't want to run the risk of stretching the material out at all? They are $200+ shirts, after all

11. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Distinguished Member

shirt fits perfectly dunno what you're complaining about

12. canstyleace

canstyleace Distinguished Member

I think its personal choice/taste more than anything, and I think it looks good on most shirts and if you have the body for it even better but I woldnt wear them if I didnt have a significant V shape torso.