• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obsessed with getting the perfect tie knot

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
I love neckties but more than the neckties, I 'm more into the knot than anything else. I get frustrated when I see someone on the street with a poorly knotted tie, or without a dimple (I know the dimple isn't for everyone or every tie) but I make sure I have one every time.

That said I stumbled upon a brochure in my grandfathers house from a manufacturer called Bachrach. Not sure about the quality but I was only concerned with the knots which I thought looked fabulous. I went on their site and saved a few imaged of what I was looking for.

Whether you agree or not, I would like to know what type of knots are these and how can I get that shape? How can I get that kind of dimple, tube, thin neck?

33536_REG_B40AF365.jpg

34432_REG_669F4959.jpg

35217_REG_46C56C78.jpg

35039_REG_5BCE1510.jpg

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would venture a guess and say most look like half-windsors ...

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pinch the knot really hard, then let it go. Now, don't move. Take the picture.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The knots you show are all old hats. Mr. Glennie may be able to provide you with avant garde knots.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to geuss here... it's a combination of relatively small tight knots with quite wide/large ties. Check out some of the really wide 80's and early 90's ties. The ones pictured seem quite big near the knot.

There might also be a bit of optical illusion going on. The button stance seems quite high, especially in picture #2, so that with the short point-down collar makes the tie look stubbier.

Just some thoughts

DoubleDomer

Reaction score
34432_REG_669F4959.jpg
Wow, that's a big/deep dimple. You know what they say about what it's supposed to resemble...

whistler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DoubleDomer
Wow, that's a big/deep dimple. You know what they say about what it's supposed to resemble...[/I]

Big feet?

Patrician

Reaction score
I'm having MAJOR difficulties creating a dimple with my ties, whats the g-damn trick?! :S

aavlee

Reaction score
Create the dimple by scrunching up the tie using your middle, pointer, thumb before pulling and tightening up the knot. I find that ties made out of heavier materials dimple easier. And obviously wider ties will dimple better, I have a hard time getting my skinnies to look right. At least this generally works in my case.

Confucius

Reaction score
Yes most simple answer is to pinch (probably a better word than scrunch) blade of tie together as tightening/pulling through the knot.

awxg

Reaction score
It just takes a lot of practice to get the dimple right. I can get my tie to look like pic #1 four out of five times. Just don't be too aggressive on creating the dimple or your tie would look like it's caving inwards like pic #2.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The trick is having the blade lie perfectly flat above the knot before pulling the blade thru the knot. The dimple creates itself without any prodding.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm just knot that picky.

FoxTheSly

Reaction score
I've pretty much got it down to where I don't even have to think to get that perfect dimple. Also, those ties do seem to come out way too fat for that knot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads