• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Observe and Report

jrandall

Reaction score
Hey, just wondering if anyone has seen Observe and Report yet? I have read reviews, they were mixed so I wanted some of your thoughts. Expected showers sunday, what better than a nice Seth Rogan flick?

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrandall
Hey, just wondering if anyone has seen Observe and Report yet? I have read reviews, they were mixed so I wanted some of your thoughts. Expected showers sunday, what better than a nice Seth Rogan flick?

not to be a douche, but this should prob be in entertainment and culture.

jrandall

Reaction score
Ah, good point. Sorta new-ish here. Can a moderator move it?

dport86

Reaction score
saw it at the Grauman's Chinese with about 10 people on Monday night. amazing, astonishing, hilarious--but very dark, violent, black comic. Most people will not get it--from the far left to the far right. will become a cult film.

MHH89

Reaction score
Heard it was a very dark film but worth seeing.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MHH89
Heard it was a very dark film but worth seeing.

Dark? It's a Seth Rogen comedy. I'd imagine it's entirely shallow fart, penis, and weed humor.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nananine
It's not a Seth Rogen comedy, it's a Jody Hill comedy.

Has Seth Rogen done any movie that wouldn't be described as a Seth Rogen comedy? Just from the previews you can tell it's incredibly juvenile. I'm not saying it's bad, because I laugh at those movies. Just saying that it's unlikely it's deep enough to be considered "dark."

Nananine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Has Seth Rogen done any movie that wouldn't be described as a Seth Rogen comedy? Just from the previews you can tell it's incredibly juvenile. I'm not saying it's bad, because I laugh at those movies. Just saying that it's unlikely it's deep enough to be considered "dark."

Donnie Darko

(Okay, I'm cheating)

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Dark? It's a Seth Rogen comedy. I'd imagine it's entirely shallow fart, penis, and weed humor.

You would be absolutely clueless then.

I don't think I've seen a darker studio comedy. Ever.

KenN

Reaction score
This movie is incredible, there is no other word to describe it.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow...did not expect this to get such glowing reviews from SF. Might have to go see it now.

hmm...rotten tomatos does not seem to agree.

jrandall

Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like I will be seeing it myself.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Wow...did not expect this to get such glowing reviews from SF. Might have to go see it now.

hmm...rotten tomatos does not seem to agree.

Yup. If it only gets 52 on rottentomatoes, I don't go see it in the theater. I may rent it.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why? Rotten Tomatoes aggregates the reviews of every dumbass with a newspaper job.

The numbers at RT are completely meaningless. Metacritic.com is slightly less meaningless since they generally only link to respectable critics.

Find two or three reliable critics (I like David Edelstein, J. Hoberman, Robert Wilonsky and the folks at the Onion AV Club myself) and if you have to base your patronage on someone else's assessment, use them.

As far as I can tell, most of the negative reviews are from people who went in expecting another goofball Rogen comedy and got Anna Faris puking on herself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads