1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Obscenely large love handles

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Mike Lowry, Oct 5, 2007.

1. tthornell

tthornell Well-Known Member

-1. Tin foil hat much? It wasn't "created by food marketers" and fitness supplement companies. You obviously haven't thought this through at all. It's backed by science and actual results. This is what bodybuilders do to get down to 4% bodyfat for competitions. I've done it myself with excellent results, nothing has ever worked as well for me. There's so much horrible advice on this forum related to fitness that it's astonishing.
    It can work, I am not saying that it does not. But, it is not necessary. Show me a few independent studies where this boosted metabolism theory is supported. I said a few and independent. Most people probably read in Mens health or on bodybuilding.com that 6 meals= fat loss. Look at history. As for your bodybuilding example, I doubt the OP will be hitting any double biceps poses in a pair of trunks anytime soon. Also, do you know any bodybuilders or fitness models? I do, and most of them do not eat that frequently. Neither do most "naturally lean" people. Do not believe everything you read. Also, let me say that I am not against snacks per se but I am against endless munching all day long. If you plan a couple of 200 snacks and it helps you not to binge, great. I have went from a 42' waist to a 34" waist, so I have a little practical knowledge in this subject.

2. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

It can work, I am not saying that it does not. But, it is not necessary. Show me a few independent studies where this boosted metabolism theory is supported. I said a few and independent. Most people probably read in Mens health or on bodybuilding.com that 6 meals= fat loss. Look at history. As for your bodybuilding example, I doubt the OP will be hitting any double biceps poses in a pair of trunks anytime soon. Also, do you know any bodybuilders or fitness models? I do, and most of them do not eat that frequently. Neither do most "naturally lean" people. Do not believe everything you read. Also, let me say that I am not against snacks per se but I am against endless munching all day long. If you plan a couple of 200 snacks and it helps you not to binge, great. I have went from a 42' waist to a 34" waist, so I have a little practical knowledge in this subject.
    A few independent "studies?" Ever watch The Biggest Looser? They're all eating 5 or 6 times per day, and loosing tons of weight. I went from 185 to 164 in approx. 3 months doing this, eating more than I ever have before in my life, lifting, and doing cardio. My metabolism went through the roof. Yes, I do know a bodybuilder and he does eat about 6 times per day, all healthy. You are wrong about naturally lean people, they do typically eat more frequently throughout the day, and overweight people typically binge eat. Do not believe anything I read? Hahaha....you're hilarious. Ok, I'll just dismiss my own personal results, the results of one of our forum member here who lost an incredible amount of weight eating like this, and the results of every single person on the biggest looser, and the results of every single professional bodybuilder because you say to "not believe everything I read" and you have "a little knowledge in this subject."

3. alan

alan Senior member

This threads issue goes beyond just losing weight.

Theres tons of advice and ways to lose weight, but unfortunately getting rid of your love handles isnt as "easy".

As others said the reason why you have them and others dont is genetic.

I gained and lost 20KGs, and had love handles pop up with stretch marks as well, just like you.

Im still not by any means skinny or toned, but the handles havent lost size as much as the rest of me. They still look quite big to me.

Ive known people who are completely ripped in the upper body, but have love handles sticking out that they just cant get rid of. Even runners who run extensively and in races have them sometimes. Some give up and just go to surgery.

The thing is, theyre probably gonna be the last thing to go. Youd have to lose any weight you can to get rid of them.

You cant really focus on the area to slim it, that doesnt work. And even toning your muscles there, ive heard, only makes the handles pop out more visually.

So really, youre gonna have 2 put yourself to a very severe regiment and lose a lot of weight, or just learn to accept a little bulging on the sides once you achieve a weight youre comfortable with.

Once i bulked up in the chest and arms, they dont bother me as much anymore tbh.

4. tthornell

tthornell Well-Known Member

A few independent "studies?" Ever watch The Biggest Looser? They're all eating 5 or 6 times per day, and loosing tons of weight. I went from 185 to 164 in approx. 3 months doing this, eating more than I ever have before in my life, lifting, and doing cardio. My metabolism went through the roof. Yes, I do know a bodybuilder and he does eat about 6 times per day, all healthy. You are wrong about naturally lean people, they do typically eat more frequently throughout the day, and overweight people typically binge eat. Do not believe anything I read? Hahaha....you're hilarious. Ok, I'll just dismiss my own personal results, the results of one of our forum member here who lost an incredible amount of weight eating like this, and the results of every single person on the biggest looser, and the results of every single professional bodybuilder because you say to "not believe everything I read" and you have "a little knowledge in this subject."
    We have hijaked this thread and turned it into a dispute. I can say for certain that weight loss is a matter of burning more calories than you eat. Can we agree that their is more than one way to do so. You will lose weight on 5 300 calories meals or 3 500 calorie meals a day as long as you are only taking in 1500 calories a day. Are we in agreement?

5. adversity04

adversity04 Senior member

We have hijaked this thread and turned it into a dispute. I can say for certain that weight loss is a matter of burning more calories than you eat. Can we agree that their is more than one way to do so. You will lose weight on 5 300 calories meals or 3 500 calorie meals a day as long as you are only taking in 1500 calories a day. Are we in agreement?

And through disputes knowledge is gained. Lance's way works better. Hell, this discussion has been had 20 times before.

6. lance konami

Partial agreement. Yes, weight loss is a matter of burning more calories than you eat, but it isn't that simple. People who take that to the extreme and eat say, one gigantic meal per day will often gain weight, because their body goes into starvation mode, especially if their eating patterns fluctuate a bit. And even if they do loose weight, they'll balloon back up to where they were before because their metabolism has slowed down so much. It's also why starvation diets don't last.

Most people except for the genetically blessed don't realize how easy it is to trigger starvation mode (the body learns that meals are coming less frequently, so it stores more fat to build up a reserve) and how easy it is to slow down your metabolism. I personally can literally feel a difference if I go back to eating only 3 times per day, after about 3 or 4 days. Same thing if I don't exercise. I just don't have the metabolism that I used to have anymore like when I was 17.

Also important is the type of calories that you're consuming. 300 calories from twinkies and donuts are very different from 300 calories of spinach.

All of these components work synergistically. Weight loss isn't easy, so you really gotta hit every angle.

7. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Partial agreement. Yes, weight loss is a matter of burning more calories than you eat, but it isn't that simple. People who take that to the extreme and eat say, one gigantic meal per day will often gain weight, because their body goes into starvation mode, especially if their eating patterns fluctuate a bit. And even if they do loose weight, they'll balloon back up to where they were before because their metabolism has slowed down so much. It's also why starvation diets don't last.

Most people except for the genetically blessed don't realize how easy it is to trigger starvation mode (the body learns that meals are coming less frequently, so it stores more fat to build up a reserve) and how easy it is to slow down your metabolism. I personally can literally feel a difference if I go back to eating only 3 times per day, after about 3 or 4 days. Same thing if I don't exercise. I just don't have the metabolism that I used to have anymore like when I was 17.

Also important is the type of calories that you're consuming. 300 calories from twinkies and donuts are very different from 300 calories of spinach.

All of these components work synergistically. Weight loss isn't easy, so you really gotta hit every angle.

Keep in mind that for every SCIENTIFIC study that says 6 meals boost your metabolism and helps you lose weight, there is another scientific study that says it doesn`t make any difference whatsoever.

In the end, what tthornell is saying is true...6 meals or 3, it doesn`t really matter as long as you are watching what you are eating and taking in fewer calories. Both ways work fine.

8. Rolo

Rolo Senior member

That's for certain. You can find numerous sources (med journals) on the web that discuss the differences in the thermic effect of eating different types of food. Protein rank much higher than simple carbs.

You'll also find articles about the meal frequency (and consistency) correlating to increased thermic effect.

There also seems to be a correlation between obesity and decreased thermic effect (particularly with carbs), but some studies conflict with these results.

While the basic rule of calories consumed versus calories expended continues to apply, what you eat, how often you eat, and how regularly you eat impacts the expenditure side of the equation.

9. lance konami

Keep in mind that for every SCIENTIFIC study that says 6 meals boost your metabolism and helps you lose weight, there is another scientific study that says it doesn`t make any difference whatsoever.

In the end, what tthornell is saying is true...6 meals or 3, it doesn`t really matter as long as you are watching what you are eating and taking in fewer calories. Both ways work fine.

I'd like to see one, just ONE scientific study that says it doesn't make a difference whatsoever. I've never found one.

10. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

I have been in good shape all of my life but for the last two years I have got fat. I was put on paxil after a cancer scare and ballooned from 165 to 190 (5'8 tall). I have been off of paxil for a year now and I started working out again in the summer after I topped out at 201 on the scales in May. I am now down to 178lbs and I cannot see one improvement in my body. I still wear the same pant size and my love handles are unusually large (I have stretch marks from the growth). I am looking for a picture now that has the before pic from this summer and I will post both a b4 and after once I find it.

My real question is what loses the fat in that area? I have noticed that even fat men do not have droopy love handles like I do. If this helps at all my dad had very large ones when he was overweight.

HOW DO I GET RID OF THEM!

If you are in your 30s or older you not going to drop or significantly reduce your lovehandles ever. Men genetically predisposed to accrue brown-fat there.
    Do not starve yourself , also do not exhaust your body by exercising excessively it is not going to work. Professional bodybuilders go under knife to get rid of them.
    So in-short- plastic surgery/liposuction is the only answer.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

If you are in your 30s or older you not going to drop or significantly reduce your lovehandles ever. Men genetically predisposed to accrue brown-fat there.
    Do not starve yourself , also do not exhaust your body by exercising excessively it is not going to work. Professional bodybuilders go under knife to get rid of them.
    So in-short- plastic surgery/liposuction is the only answer.

Even by dkzzz's standards, this post it idiotic. Ignore it.

12. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I'd like to see one, just ONE scientific study that says it doesn't make a difference whatsoever. I've never found one.

Just one is enough?

http://fitnessblackbook.com/dieting_...day-diet-plan/

13. lance konami

Just one is enough? http://fitnessblackbook.com/dieting_...day-diet-plan/
    Thanks. Seems to me that the study does not take cardio or weightlifting into consideration, just meal frequency alone. Here's another one that contradicts that study, from the same link you provided. Link
    Here's another one. Link
    And another. Link
    Now, you have to wonder, why didn't the guy who runs that blog include these studies as well? Also, his number one book link recommendation is Tom Venutto's Burn the Fat e-book, which I've read and essentially where I'm getting all my information from. Guess what he recommends? 6 meals per day.

14. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Thanks. Seems to me that the study does not take cardio or weightlifting into consideration, just meal frequency alone.

Here's another one that contradicts that study, from the same link you provided.

Link

Here's another one.

Link

And another.

Link

Now, you have to wonder, why didn't the guy who runs that blog include these studies as well?

Also, his number one book link recommendation is Tom Venutto's Burn the Fat e-book, which I've read and essentially where I'm getting all my information from. Guess what he recommends? 6 meals per day.

I didn`t even bother to click the links, but none of the quotes you posted say 6 meals per day will boost metabolism in comparison to 3 meals.

The point is, for every scientific study that says 6 meals works wonders for your metabolism, there is another one that says it doesn`t make one bit of difference.

My personal opinion is that it doesn`t matter (3 or 6 meals) as long as you are watching what you are eating.

15. lance konami

I see your point Dragon, but I have a question about the survey you posted. Where exactly does it say that 6 meals per day does not increase metabolism compared to 3? How do you get the specifics of the experiment? I can't seem to find that, only what looks like a summary.

16. adversity04

adversity04 Senior member

From doing it myself I'm slimmer when I eat more often. Not only that but I don't feel nearly as disgusting from eating a huge meal. Proceed with more sciencetific stuff.

17. mr.loverman

mr.loverman Senior member

eliminate white flour, white rice, sugar as much as possible.

get adequate protein. eat smaller meals but eat more frequently. eat most of your carbs earlier in the day.

find a healthy salad dressing you really like and eat salads.

organic food is great if you can afford it.

drink at least a hald gallon of water per day

do high intensity exercise. 3-5 times per week for 20-30 minutes. you could even do 2 10 minute sessions in one day. this will really boost your metabolism.

ask your friends if they know any good personal trainers that have helped them

18. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

drink at least a hald gallon of water per day

I was watching a show the other day (on Discovery?) that did a study on the benefits of drinking lots of water. They took 2 twins and had one drink lots, while the other didn`t drink any for a period of time (I think it was a week). To my surprise, there was NO DIFFERENCE in hydration between the two, as plenty of water is absorbed from food.

19. lance konami

If you're exercising and especially doing cardio, you need to drink water. You will get some water from some foods, but not enough if you're exercising on a regular basis.

Still waiting for you to show me exactly how your study says 6 meals per day does not increase your metabolism compared to 3, dragon.

20. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

If you're exercising and especially doing cardio, you need to drink water. You will get some water from some foods, but not enough if you're exercising on a regular basis. Still waiting for you to show me exactly how your study says 6 meals per day does not increase your metabolism compared to 3, dragon.
    I am not going to take the time to go through and research EXACTLY how the study(s) came to it`s conclusion. Just a quick search came up with many studies that say 6 meals has no benefit in comparison to 3. I think you will find opposing studies in just about every part of dieting and losing weight. Regarding the water...sure I agree you need water if are exercising, because you will obviously get thirsty. I think the study in the TV show, was trying to say that drinking water on it`s own does not have any hydrating benefits in comparison to drinking no water, as the twins showed no difference whatsoever. I found this interesting because people in the dieting world typically believe they have to gulp down a ton of water everyday to lose weight.