• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oblivious / Lordofpi 2.0

lordofpi

Reaction score
Hi all. Long time SFer from the other side of the fence in Men's Clothing. I apologize in advance for the rambling.

Since I was a kid, I was always an admirer of higher end men's wear. In high school, I was already working in professional fields, and I eventually moved into an executive position. All the while, my passion for men's clothing played wonderfully with the attire I wore with my positions and in my regular life as well. I was usually adorned in a suit six days per week and something similar on the seventh -- kind of always ready for "official business."

After much calamity (word to the wise: don't call your boss's daughter a ****), I now find myself without a job after all these years. I will no longer be either in the field nor the type of positions I was in again for many years if ever. I also lost a great deal of weight and no longer fit my more formal attire. Double reasons why I now need to learn how to dress myself in a "streetwear" manner (since wearing suits is not only -not- an option but also out-of-place), and I am struggling.

I have a very loving girlfriend who has aided me in getting some jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and polo shirts -- none of which I owned before. She has done a fantastic job, but at some point, I will have to take over and build my own "style" again from scratch -- I can't live any other way lol. I have no idea what I really like, what I would like to look like, etc. All I ever knew was MC-esque attire and I did it well.

I am about to hit 30, I have a 34" waist, 5'10", dark hair -- but I just don't have any clue what direction to go in. While I may have been commissioning bespoke garments in the past, and styling like a fiend of my own design, we are far away from that in terms of the type of lifestyle I lead and to the extent to which I am both able and willing to spend on things now, and I simply feel lost and maybe a bit unmotivated.

I have been lurking and observing threads on here at SW&D for months, including WAYWT threads, but just can't get a feel. Can someone help point me in the right direction so that I might be able to rebuild myself in this new incarnation?

I'm so sorry for writing such a long post; I felt all of this was kind of necessary to explain how I got to this point.

I anxiously await your replies, harsh though they may be.

lordofpi

Reaction score
Well, I have analyzed the lack of response here and drawn some conclusions:

(1a) Regardless of my situation, I should just keep lurking until I feel inspired.

(1b) My thread started here is just way too premature. I am eager to get back into the midst of things, but I just don't have much to contribute at the moment.

(2) It is possible I still belong over on MC, but just more on the casual side of things -- rather than switching over to SW&D.

(3) This was just a poorly worded thread, I am a little nuts nowadays, and no one could really make it through my lengthy BS. For that, I apologize, especially to those who actually pushed on through it all.

So lurk on I shall, both here -and- in MC, in hopes of being inspired to be able to re-establish a style for myself. See you all on the boards.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is likely to be your future line of work? You live in a temperate or warm climate? Those kinds of details can help narrow down options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads