• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

obliques

Durden

Reaction score
Anyone here aims on the obliques? i am in shape but i would like my obliques to show. any good ways to really aim for the obliques in a workout?

im 1,80m and 65kg what do you guys suggest, would it take very long to get these showing?

thanks in advance

Mark_Y

Reaction score
Why do you want your obliques to show, so you'll look fatter?

stach

Reaction score
Ignoring the above troll, do crunches but turn to the sides instead of lifting straight up.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with SSD, the only way that you are going to get your obliques to show more is to lower body fat. You need body fat to be sub 10% for obliques to really show.

Also, instead of just doing ordinary crunches to the side you might want to do them weighted. Weighted crunches to the side are more effective in making your obliques actually "grow" (by the way, there's no such thing as "toning" muscles, so doing massive amounts of crunches will not make you look more "toned" all it will do is increase muscle endurance).

EDIT: Just saw that TheRookie already recommended weighted crunches.

coachvu

Reaction score
While on your side, do a crunch motion by bringing your shoulders slightly up off the ground toward your feet. If you have a bar to hang from, lift your knees to your chest while also twisting them to each side. Also, you can lie on your back with your knees bent (like a crunch) and then rest your right ankle on your left knee. Put your right arm straight out beside you, and put your left hand behind your head. Now bring your left elbow toward your right knee (which is raised in the air, sort of like if you crossed your legs while sitting in a chair). Don't try to touch your elbow to your knee; just move it in that direction. Then switch to do the other side. It's hard to put this clearly in words, but it's a great exercise.

Durden

Reaction score
about the losing fat thing im pretty muscular..waist 30 ill try the crunches tho,
thanks

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it helps, I used to do decline sit ups with a twist back and forth at the top. Or, do a decline sit up and twist to one side at the top, alternating sides with each sit up.

Durden

Reaction score
whats a decline sit up?

a sit up that you do when you hang from your feet?

being from europe my english isnt perfect, sorry.

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Durden
whats a decline sit up?

a sit up that you do when you hang from your feet?

being from europe my english isnt perfect, sorry.

It's a sit-up with your head toward the ground and your feet raised in the air, usually looped around something to hold the position. Lots of gyms have special benches for these.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Durden
about the losing fat thing im pretty muscular..waist 30 ill try the crunches tho,
thanks

You can be muscular and still have fat covering up your obliques. The amount of fat on your body and the amount of muscle has nothing to do with each other. Powerlifters are "muscular" and still have fat covering their muscles. Don't think of having bodyfat as being fat. Everybody has bodyfat on their body, it's just a question of how much. You can have 12% bodyfat and look "muscular" as you are describing it and have a 30 inch waist, but still have too much fat for obliques to show.

Anyway for your obliques to really show it takes really low bodyfat, period. You can kill yourself doing crunches and if you don't have sub 10% bodyfat your obliques will probably not show. You can have low enough bodyfat for your abs to show (i.e., a "sixpack"), but still not have fat low enough bodyfat for your obliques to show. I

n fact, doing too many crunches will make you look wider and will take away from your v-taper and if your bodyfat doesn't get low enough then your obliques still won't show.

Here's an example of a guy at 12% bodyfat, who has a sixpack and looks "muscular" but his obliques don't show because he needs to lower bodyfat:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...4&d=1129991361

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics