1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Obenauf's LP: It works

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by videocrew, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Rollox

Rollox Member

It'll change the colour a lot, but looks that way.

2. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

It won't hurt. Weatherproofing on shoes wears off over time. Treating it with LP will condition the leather and help protect it from the elements.

3. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

Does anyone have any experience using Obenauf's LP on a pair of Alden 403s (the Chromexcel). How much does it darken them? I need to weatherproof them but am concerned about losing the color.

4. zissou

zissou Senior member

Which color chromexcel? I've used LP on tan CXL, and it darkened just a little. But, it brings out the color of the leather quite nicely. The best thing to do is to test it on an inconspicuous area, such as the bottom of the tongue, and see how you like it.

5. irbe

irbe Senior member

If its the dark burgandy one, there isn't any noticeable darkening.

6. grizzlybear

grizzlybear Senior member

where can i buy online

7. grizzlybear

grizzlybear Senior member

what would i use on green rafstros?

8. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

It is indeed the dark burgundy one (Alden Indy 403).

So I should not worry too much about darkening the leather with Obenaufs? It should stay about the same shade?

9. otc

otc Senior member

Never done it on leather soled boots, but I have used sno seal (just ran out of a can that probably came from the 70's...will replace with LP since it seems to be incrementally better and even at double the price, when a jar lasts that long, who cares about the $$) on the rubber sole of my katahdin boots.

Warmed them in an oven set to "warm" and did the uppers and then took a toothbrush dipped in sno seal and went at the parts of the sole where the stitching goes through. Seems like the heat allowed the wax to melt and wick into the thread and seal it all the way up to the welt. I did this before ever seriously wearing them, but they don't have any problems with water seeping in through the stitching with a fresh application.

10. rostov

rostov Senior member

Anyone have photos of Obenauf's LP applied to the AE Ashbury?

11. rossi

rossi Well-Known Member

I'm considering purchasing a pair of these Bexley dress boots (rubber sole) for foul and snowy weather.
    Would the Obenauf LP work in waterproofing this thin leather? Or is this a bad idea and should I buy thicker leathered boots?

Alternatively: is it possible to get a high polish shine on the toes, and still keep the leather protected from water?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  12. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

Before and after.

[​IMG]

It's worth nothing that the one on the right had some very bad stress creases on it when i bought the shoes. I found this odd since the other one looked unscarred. It was like someone took one of them and bent it till i creased badly and left the other alone. I didn't care enough to send them back.

Anyway after application the creases are still there. I wouldn't mind it if the other one wasn't perfect. It's stupid looking with one uncreased shoe and one with epic creases.

Fuck Zappos.

13. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

BTW sorry for double post but would you guys use OBNF's on these? Mine are looking a little dry although I'm afraid it will really darken the lighter color which I like a lot.

14. videocrew

videocrew Senior member

Just wear them a little bit. The other will get creases, done and done.

15. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

Is the leather supposed to be a little sticky after? It's been like a day since I applied.

16. acl1

acl1 Senior member

No, I first had that problem too. I think the stickiness indicates that the LP hasn't fully penetrated; I found that a good amount of heating after application makes most of the stickiness go away.

17. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

Well I hit them pretty good with the hair dryer. They aren't like, incredibly sticky...but I can kind of feel the residue if I rub them.

18. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I keep brushing until that tackiness goes away.

19. tsekh

tsekh Senior member

Just got some heavy duty LP and it's awesome...

Previous I used mink oil, while they seem to condition my boots, it leaves them sticky and very dusty after a few wears.

With the LP, the leather seems to absorbing it much better. Sticky in the beginning, and the sticky-ness goes away after a while. Heating it with a hair dryer (not too aggresive though) speeds up the penetration faster. It darken the color a little bit, but the color lighten back again as the LP got penetrated. IMO they smell better than mink oil too. :slayer:

20. kanzzz

kanzzz Member

Hi, any reason to NOT use the LP on a pair of sperry top-siders (leather of course)?

Cheers