• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obenauf's LP: It works

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeeeey
my obenauf LP is slightly light olive green in color, as oppose to what i see online which mostly are light yellow.

emailed them about this and they say its due to the natural ingredients... so that means there's no "expiry date" for their products since they didn't state any?

I don't know the answer to this question, but since you've already established contact with them, why not just email them back and ask?

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered the whole kit a few days ago... really need it for my 1000 Miles, as the snow we've been getting in NYC has killed them. Full photographed review to come

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
I ordered the whole kit a few days ago... really need it for my 1000 Miles, as the snow we've been getting in NYC has killed them. Full photographed review to come

the whole kit is definitely the way to go and it will last a long time. use it on all my leather products

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a bummer

I'm gonna just see what this Obeneauf's is about... if it still doesn't work I'll get an ugly pair of Timbs for next winter. Just crazy that a $350 pair of boots from Wolverine can't handle a little road salt, but their $80 w/e's can.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I just used Obenauf's to revive a ca. 1950s horsehide jacket. It does an amazing job. I've used it for several years. Highly recommended.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with the price. Rock salt just destroys leather. I have a cheapo pair of made in china redwings that have survived four winters, but look like **** from all the rock salt.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it a problem if rock salt gets on the soles of the shoes (not leather)?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI
CtK, I try not to wear any of my expensive boots on snow days and the days following snow days in NYC. The salt will kill them.

While salt's far from ideal, the Obenauf LP will act as a barrier from the salt (and snow, water, dirt, etc.). Like you guys, we seem to get another foot of snow every other week this year so my Wolverine 1K Mile boots have seen more than a little snow, ice and salt than I ever intended.

They have surprisingly held up quite well and the Obenauf works wonders to protect and waterproof. These are just over 5 months old now and have been treated with Obenauf's LP 4-5 times now. My Blundstone 500's are my go-to weekend/casual snow boot as they have a rubber lugged sole. However, the 1K's handle surprisingly well in the snow (not ice of course) on those occasions when I'm stuck in the muck.

I polished the Wolverine's once with brown Kiwi wax polish about 24 hrs after an LP treatment. They didn't take a shine like a calfskin dress shoe (which I didn't want) but rather developed a rich, dull shine or luster. I figured the wax will protect from the elements as well.

Note, I'm careful to clean the salt off them with a damp cloth after each wear in bad conditions and then hit them with a horsehair brush before or after each wear. The brushing brings back that slight sheen from the Obenauf treatment. It really looks nice and takes virtualy no effort I'm also careful to let the soles dry after they get really wet and mever wear them consecutive days after a good slogging.

Lastly, I switched out the laces for leather. Looks better IMO. They were a lighter brown color (almost tan) out of the package but a quick treatment with Obenauf darkened the laces up nicely so they match the boot well now.

DSC_8180.jpg

DSC_8165.jpg

DSC_8190.jpg

DSC_8198.jpg

DSC_8168.jpg

DSC_8195.jpg

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice, i like the look with leather laces. i might do that as well

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tooshay
Does anyone know of any UK/EU stockists?

It's not available as far as I could tell. I ordered it on ebay from the states and the postage wasn't that dear.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
If you regularly take a wet paper towel and wipe the salt off your boots when you come indoors, there should not be significant, lasting damage.

auggie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tooshay
Does anyone know of any UK/EU stockists?

I just saw them for sale at Son of Stag in Shoreditch yesterday. Selling for 295. Caliroots sells them too, they ship out of Sweden.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads