Obenauf's LP: It works

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by videocrew, Aug 10, 2009.

1. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

I would say that the oil darkens leather more. The difference is that the oil is an oil, and the LP is a harder paste that is mostly beeswax.

I find that the LP is good for slightly softening leather, but mostly protecting it, whereas the oil penetrates deeper and softens it up more.

awesome I put a light coat of Obenauf's Oil today, they are currently sitting in the closet in the shade, hope to be able to start wearing them in tomorrow.

I applied at like 5pm you guys think its okay to start wearing the boots in the afternoon?

2. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

I've a Jack George's briefcase that I love, however, one side of the briefcase has some water spots. If I apply Obenauf's, do you think it will get rid of the spots?

3. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

awesome I put a light coat of Obenauf's Oil today, they are currently sitting in the closet in the shade, hope to be able to start wearing them in tomorrow.

I applied at like 5pm you guys think its okay to start wearing the boots in the afternoon?

Shouldn't be a problem at all.

4. themaskedcorndog

themaskedcorndog Senior member

i apply it while wearing the boots and then continue wearing them. not a problem

5. Franky

Franky Active Member

Best way to shine some nice chromexcel after applying three coats of obenaufs LP?

Wolverine 1000s by the way.

6. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Obenaufs or shine: pick 1. You can buff the Obenaufs with a cloth but you're not going to get a shine on these.

7. Franky

Franky Active Member

Sounds good, once applied does it need to be buffed or just letting it soak in ok?

8. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

Sounds good, once applied does it need to be buffed or just letting it soak in ok?

apply Obenauf's, let it soak..wait a few days and then shine/buff

9. arced

arced Senior member

Does anyone know whether Pecard's will darken the leather less that Obenauf's? Also, Obenauf's is more for work boots (heavy duty uses) and the Pecard's for everyday use, right? I'm debating between the two. For reference, I have heavily scuffed Red Wing GT's and just picked up a pair of Alden Indy boots (but I don't want to darken them too much).

10. irbe

irbe Senior member

I used the Heavy Duty stuff on my Obensauf Alden Indy Chromo, I didn't notice any darkening. I'm still looking for a leather conditioner to use to protect the below:

[​IMG]

Kinda of like a rubbery leather. Wrote to the quoddy people they said to use something without silcone. Anybody can recommend a brand they have used on tan leather shoes that does not darken?

11. delakingois

delakingois Senior member

Should I apply the LP to the sole? Also, I've read that I could use a hairdryer as a heatsource, but what am I supposed to heat? Apply it and then warm it up?

12. Omega Man

Omega Man Senior member

You can if you want to apply on the sole. Don't think it is necessary. Use the blow dryer to heat up the leather to "open up" its pore. It is supposed to make it absorb much better and faster.

13. entrero

entrero Senior member

It's as necessary as washing tire treads

14. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

Should I apply the LP to the sole?

Unless you will be constantly cleaning the sole after use and reapplying the LP, it's probably a waste of time.

15. mikeeeey

mikeeeey Well-Known Member

my obenauf LP is slightly light olive green in color, as oppose to what i see online which mostly are light yellow.

emailed them about this and they say its due to the natural ingredients... so that means there's no "expiry date" for their products since they didn't state any?