Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Obenauf's LP: It works

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by videocrew, Aug 10, 2009.

1. goldenbraid

goldenbraid Well-Known Member

Just used some Obernaufs on my russell mocassins. Used to use pecard's leather dressing which was good but I like the finish of Obernauf's better. I used a hair dryer to help the shoes absorb it. Several light coats are the way to go. Not too much in one application or they will end up attracting dirt.

2. kbuzz

kbuzz Senior member

Anyone used the LP on dress shoes. Consensus here seems to be to use the oil on dress shoes but i have the LP and a pair of AE beaters id like to treat.

In other words, will the LP cause damage to dress shoes?

3. demonito

demonito Member

you dont use obenaufs on dry tanned leather, suede ( unless you wanna dub them) the likes

use it only on oiled leather or chromexcel leather

and you only use obenaufs with dried out leather not with barely new leather

4. halberdklown

halberdklown Senior member

I was given a bottle of Pecards and was wondering how it compares to obernaufs?

5. bye4now122

bye4now122 Senior member

6. bye4now122

bye4now122 Senior member

Just used some Obernaufs on my russell mocassins. Used to use pecard's leather dressing which was good but I like the finish of Obernauf's better. I used a hair dryer to help the shoes absorb it. Several light coats are the way to go. Not too much in one application or they will end up attracting dirt.

I was given a bottle of Pecards and was wondering how it compares to obernaufs?

7. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

Anyone know's what will happen if I apply this shit on wheat colored boots similar to these:

[​IMG]

I should add that mine are really old and faded.

8. werdswerf

werdswerf Well-Known Member

If that's nubuck or suede (can't quite tell from the pic), I wouldn't recommend obenaufs.

9. roundheadlights

roundheadlights Senior member

Anyone know's what will happen if I apply this shit on wheat colored boots similar to these:

[​IMG]

I should add that mine are really old and faded.

Might help you light them on fire...

10. raven37457

raven37457 Senior member

I am currently using Mink oil for my black leather 1000 Miles and TBC Tackhead boots. Are there any drawbacks with using mink oil instead of Obenaufs? Has anyone compared the two? Thanks.

11. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

I am currently using Mink oil for my black leather 1000 Miles and TBC Tackhead boots. Are there any drawbacks with using mink oil instead of Obenaufs? Has anyone compared the two? Thanks.

According to Russell Moccasin, you should actually avoid using mink oil. I've also read elsewhere that mink oil softens leather by breaking down its fibers, not by conditioning them.

12. darkbat

darkbat Well-Known Member

how does this compare to the montana pitch blend?

13. brewmeister

brewmeister Active Member

I have a pair of Chippewa work boots that could use some TLC. Picked up some Obenauf's and here is the result on one of the boots after the first application.

Pardon the crummy photos--

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. entrero

entrero Senior member

According to Russell Moccasin, you should actually avoid using mink oil. I've also read elsewhere that mink oil softens leather by breaking down its fibers, not by conditioning them.

False. According to most leather experts out there and also Lexol, mink oil does not damage leather. It's a best/decent/good conditioner depends on whom you ask

15. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

False. According to most leather experts out there and also Lexol, mink oil does not damage leather. It's a best/decent/good conditioner depends on whom you ask

I actually own a bottle of mink oil, but since I've heard mixed reviews about it from sources I feel are reliable, and since I've never heard any source that I feel is reliable say that Obenauf's can harm leather, I'm going to stick with the LP.