• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obenauf's LP: It works

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, good article.

Applied to 6 pairs today - 2nd coat on 3, first coat on 3.

Applied to RW GT, but it's not absorbing since they are brand new and "water-resistant" from the factory. I'll let them sit overnight and see if any of it gets absorbed, or just wipe it off.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is Obenauf's Leather Oil good for? I'm trying to decide if I should order the small combo pack or just the LP.

Blog Marley

Reaction score
I got a pair of Red Wing Beckmans in chestnut recently and was wondering how to keep them looking nice. I like the factory color and would hate to have obenaufs darken the leather, I plan on wearing them through the rest of winter especially as we continuously get snow. Which product should I get?

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joel_954
What is Obenauf's Leather Oil good for? I'm trying to decide if I should order the small combo pack or just the LP.
the LP stuff is intended to be used on harder working leathers (ie workboots, unsmooth leathers). I believe it was originally made for firefighters or something like that. Its my understanding that the leather oil is better for soft leathers, dress shoes, and things like jackets, etc. Someone correct me if im wrong.

Omega Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Money
the LP stuff is intended to be used on harder working leathers (ie workboots, unsmooth leathers). I believe it was originally made for firefighters or something like that.

Its my understanding that the leather oil is better for soft leathers, dress shoes, and things like jackets, etc.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

+1. LP for heavy use and oil for "lighter" use. I used oil first and then LP on my RW GT. The shade of the leather (Black cherry) darkened a bit.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joel_954

Get the Oil (Darkens) and the heavy duty stuff. Stuff is awesome.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oil is thinner than LP, so it absorbs faster but also wears off faster, mainly intended for softer leathers and not exposed to harsh conditions, LP is thicker and forms more of a protective coat, intended for thicker leathers and harsh conditions.

btw- both darken the leather a bit, but the oil will darken more than the LP by itself since it absorbs more into the leather's grain.

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^+1 to everything said above^^^

I think it's worth it to get both the oil and LP; together they will cover the gamut of leather products you might have, and you can save on shipping the first time
wink.gif

confab

Reaction score
I posted some Obenauf's before & after pics on the Katahdin boots thread: link.

Vaitek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blog Marley
I got a pair of Red Wing Beckmans in chestnut recently and was wondering how to keep them looking nice. I like the factory color and would hate to have obenaufs darken the leather, I plan on wearing them through the rest of winter especially as we continuously get snow. Which product should I get?

I treated mine twice as suggested and it darkened slightly, but very little.

7d88f100.jpg

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those chestnut Beckman's are the only RW's I'd ever consider buying. They need a stacked leather heel, though.

Obenauf's LP is great stuff. The western shop on the other end of my block sells it.

splattered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Those chestnut Beckman's are the only RW's I'd ever consider buying. They need a stacked leather heel, though.

Obenauf's LP is great stuff. The western shop on the other end of my block sells it.

If i could picture ANYONE on this board sportin' Red Wings, it would be you
tongue.gif

Alec_Jan

Reaction score
anyone try the LP on 405's to darken out the red tone a bit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics