• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obenauf's LP: It works

Brattman

Reaction score
It's definitely a good idea to treat them with LP before your first wear.

mixProtocol

Reaction score
Obenauf's will darken the Chips slightly, but I still think it's the best choice. If you're talking street-slush-type snow (with salt, etc...), then I'd definitely coat them before the first use (the hairdryer method works well). Getting salt stains out of uncoated leather isn't fun, with Obenauf's, the salt brushes right off when dry.

mljs54

Reaction score
Obenauf's will darken the Chips slightly, but I still think it's the best choice. If you're talking street-slush-type snow (with salt, etc...), then I'd definitely coat them before the first use (the hairdryer method works well). Getting salt stains out of uncoated leather isn't fun, with Obenauf's, the salt brushes right off when dry.

It's definitely a good idea to treat them with LP before your first wear.

Thanks for the feedback.

I actually saw some pics of the darkening and it looks pretty drastic -- I'm not sure if that's because they were taken right after applying LP? Do they return closer to the original leather color after a few days? I got the Chocolate Apache color if that helps.

Last edited:

squintzz

Reaction score
anyone have a suggestion on how to get obenauf if u r living in canada? ordering from their site is kinda pricey in terms of shipping prices

Brattman

Reaction score
^If you're looking for the LP and not the leather oil, Viberg sells it with a rebranded label. Basically it's LP made by Obenaufs but with Viberg's logo on the outside. They sell it for the same price, so that may be less expensive if ordering within Canada.

squintzz

Reaction score
$5 is kinda pricey? I ordered from them before and it was less than $5 to ship to Canada...
checked yesterday and it was more than $7. i doubt i need a lot so i was just gonna buy the 4oz; so i'd be paying double because of shipping.

EDIT: I just checked the viberg work boot site they have and shipping is even worse ($10), so i guess i cant escape the high shipping unless i get a group buy going

Last edited:

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was very close to buying some LP for my mcnairy waxy brogues but ended up getting the Montana Blend Pine Pitch (pine pitch, mink oil and beeswax).
Hasn't arrived yet but after this thread I may end up ordering this and returning the pine pitch.

Omega Man

Reaction score
This may have been discussed already. Would you recommend putting Obenauf's LP onto rough out leathers (i.e. suede)? I am looking at a pair of rough out leather workboots. Does it gum up the leather and would it be completely absorbed by the leather?

Brattman

Reaction score
^I used LP on my Viberg rough out service boots and it definitely changed the initial soft texture. I've brushed them with a brass brush, which helps restore the piles, but the roughout doesn't absorb the LP in a way that you'd never know it had been treated.

pasteurisation

Reaction score
@Brattman Is it really necessary to treat the rough out shoes with obenauf? I read somewhere in Viberg thread & someone mentioned that the rough out doesn't require any treatment. I will try it on my Vibergs rough out shoes if it considerably improves the texture.

Brattman

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the rationale behind saying "roughout doesn't require conditioning". It's just the flip side of the same hides that would otherwise be smooth-side-out, and all skins need to have oils replenished to avoid dry rot. That's why I chose to condition mine, but to each his/her own.

NickInTO

Reaction score
Just used Obenauf's for the first time. Used it on a month-old pair of Red Wing for J. Crew Munson boots that were a light brown/copper colour. It really darkened them, but I like the finish it gave them.

I also used it on the straps of a Filson bag - it dried fairly sticky with some white residue in places. I used a hair dryer while applying/after applying. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any tips?

Brattman

Reaction score
I wouldn't use LP on luggage straps. Instead I'd recommend their leather oil on things like that.

arepb

Reaction score
After treating with Obenauf's, I put on several coats of wax polish. It can be difficult to raise a good shine after treatment with Obenauf's (it usually takes about 10 polishings before I can get a good shine).
I have found that if you let them properly absorb the O's (let dry near a heater or in sun and don't wear them for a few days), you can get an immediate polish hard shine with a double coat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads