1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Obenauf's LP: It works

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by videocrew, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Brattman

Brattman Senior member

^If you're looking for the LP and not the leather oil, Viberg sells it with a rebranded label. Basically it's LP made by Obenaufs but with Viberg's logo on the outside. They sell it for the same price, so that may be less expensive if ordering within Canada.

2. squintzz

squintzz Active Member

checked yesterday and it was more than $7. i doubt i need a lot so i was just gonna buy the 4oz; so i'd be paying double because of shipping.

EDIT: I just checked the viberg work boot site they have and shipping is even worse ($10), so i guess i cant escape the high shipping unless i get a group buy going

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  3. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

I was very close to buying some LP for my mcnairy waxy brogues but ended up getting the Montana Blend Pine Pitch (pine pitch, mink oil and beeswax).
    Hasn't arrived yet but after this thread I may end up ordering this and returning the pine pitch.

4. Omega Man

Omega Man Senior member

This may have been discussed already. Would you recommend putting Obenauf's LP onto rough out leathers (i.e. suede)? I am looking at a pair of rough out leather workboots. Does it gum up the leather and would it be completely absorbed by the leather?

5. Brattman

Brattman Senior member

^I used LP on my Viberg rough out service boots and it definitely changed the initial soft texture. I've brushed them with a brass brush, which helps restore the piles, but the roughout doesn't absorb the LP in a way that you'd never know it had been treated.

6. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Senior member

@Brattman Is it really necessary to treat the rough out shoes with obenauf? I read somewhere in Viberg thread & someone mentioned that the rough out doesn't require any treatment. I will try it on my Vibergs rough out shoes if it considerably improves the texture.

7. Brattman

Brattman Senior member

I'm not sure what the rationale behind saying "roughout doesn't require conditioning". It's just the flip side of the same hides that would otherwise be smooth-side-out, and all skins need to have oils replenished to avoid dry rot. That's why I chose to condition mine, but to each his/her own.

8. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

Just used Obenauf's for the first time. Used it on a month-old pair of Red Wing for J. Crew Munson boots that were a light brown/copper colour. It really darkened them, but I like the finish it gave them.

I also used it on the straps of a Filson bag - it dried fairly sticky with some white residue in places. I used a hair dryer while applying/after applying. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any tips?

9. Brattman

Brattman Senior member

I wouldn't use LP on luggage straps. Instead I'd recommend their leather oil on things like that.

10. arepb

arepb New Member

I have found that if you let them properly absorb the O's (let dry near a heater or in sun and don't wear them for a few days), you can get an immediate polish hard shine with a double coat.

11. terryjerry

terryjerry Member

Hi I'm new here and I've read most parts of the thread. I adopted the crane's method in applying the obenaufs for my iron rangers. I've worn them around for a few weeks and decided to put some obenaufs on them. Colour has darkened a few shades as expected and most of the LP has been absorbed. It's been two days since the application now and the leather is still sticky with white residue on it and also in the stitching. I have already tried wiping with dry and damp cloth as well as brushing but to no avail. I'm hoping that some of the more experienced ones can help me?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  12. meso

meso Senior member

You saturated your boots with Obenauf's. Unless you have a time machine there's not much to be done.

13. otc

otc Senior member

Just keep brushing.

Should be fine in a week.

14. terryjerry

terryjerry Member

I only applied two coats so saturation is not possible right?

15. meso

meso Senior member

There's no reason to rub Obenauf's all over new boots in the first place?

16. otc

otc Senior member

I like to condition and/or treat new shoes before wearing.

Who knows how long they have been sitting on the shelf before you got them? And if you are trying to waterproof them with LP...they might not be waterproof before doing so.

Did my replacement pair of katahdin boots yesterday. Gave them a conditioning with lexol and then a few coats of Obenauf's alternated between setting them in a low temp oven so they would soak it up.

Still miss the fact that you can buff SnoSeal up to a decent shine...Obenauf's is a little too soft and never gets there.

17. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Sounds like you used too much. Soften the HDLP in the container (e.g., with a hair dryer), grab some with your hands, and work it into the straps. Keep working the straps with your hands. When finished, take a rag and wipe it down. If it "dried sticky" then you used too much and/or didn't wipe off the excess.

18. Carson

Carson Senior member

Any reason why LP would NOT be ok for conditioning a 30 year-old leather motorcycle jacket that looks like it is in need of some serious conditioning?? Any better choices?? Thanks

19. phidauex

phidauex Well-Known Member

I would recommend Lexol leather conditioner first. Obenaufs LP is great stuff, but it is strong medicine. It works because it has a lot of waxes that sit on the surface of the leather to protect it from water and chemicals - but those same waxes can make the leather dull, sticky, or dark colored. I use it on my actual work boots, as does my my brother in law who is a wildland fire fighter, but for soft leather goods it can leave a finish you may not like.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. Carson

Carson Senior member

So, can I surmise that Obenauf's leather oil - not LP - would be better? Thanks.