• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obama in Tom Ford

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
I like a well dressed leader and I love high quality clothing (obviously). I own a lot of TF stuff personally and love it. Just thought its a little unsubtle to wear this dress that's £10k+ and then claim you're a people's person and an average American. It doesn't do her husband any favours dressing like that, so it's an odd choice by her. I definitely don't hate anyone, I'm just feeling very disillusioned with the whole Obama thing.

I too think all politicians should wear nothing but real, honest, American workwear from Carhart.

Dibidoolandas

Reaction score
First, why do people think that the President and his wife should be regular people? There was this huge right-wing backlash against Obama because he was "elitist" (as opposed to the Yale-legacy oil tycoon born with a silver spoon in his mouth G.W.), and it's like, he's the ******* President. He should be elitist, the President is elite. Second, I sure hope that none of these arguments against Michelle spending too much money on clothes are politically charged, because if they were I would point out conservative presidential hopefuls sure aren't too conservative with the cost of their wardrobes. I think for being in the company of the queen they were dressed appropriately.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"No more Size 0"

Also, related to that and the topic, has anyone considered that perhaps the dress may have been given to Mrs. Obama? Free clothes as gifts to presidential wives is not without precedent.

animeman05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dibidoolandas
First, why do people think that the President and his wife should be regular people? There was this huge right-wing backlash against Obama because he was "elitist" (as opposed to the Yale-legacy oil tycoon born with a silver spoon in his mouth G.W.), and it's like, he's the ******* President. He should be elitist, the President is elite.

+1. I am sick of American politician, including Obama, wearing suits that are two sizes too big and are not even tailored simply to prove "they are men of the people." C'mon you are the POTUS.

Michelle looks amazing.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dibidoolandas
First, why do people think that the President and his wife should be regular people? There was this huge right-wing backlash against Obama because he was "elitist" (as opposed to the Yale-legacy oil tycoon born with a silver spoon in his mouth G.W.), and it's like, he's the ******* President. He should be elitist, the President is elite.
But Obama is a self-style people's person, and his whole gig is that he's a black guy who has broken through that elitist system and is now going to offer top-down change to make the USA more of a meritocracy. Conservative politicians don't claim they want to change systems of elitism & nepotism: they make it clear that hard work = money, and that's going to create a hierarchy. If I've just made up this whole problem, why is Michelle making so much noise recently about how she shops at J. Crew for herself & for her kids? She turns up to I think a Leno interview in a $100 dress from J. Crew when she has a wardrobe worth $0.25m+? Don't get me wrong, I'm a liberal Conservative (UK), and I like my statesmen dressed well & expensively; but TF is a brand about sex and luxury and excess, so if you're claiming to be all about "hope & change" (as Obama is), how can you let your wife shop excessively at brands which cater to people who are doing everything they can to counter change? Either he cuts the empty rhetoric and says what he actually intends, or his wife stops spending hundreds of thousands on clothes, otherwise he looks & his wife look like liars.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know she only started the whole J. Crew thing as a conceit because she was getting a lot of attention for her wardrobe? You know her bespoke collection of clothing alone is estimated at over $100K? That's excluding the RTW stuff.

She could wear high quality brands that are quite expensive but not as excessive and showy as TF?

$100k at MSRP?

On this forum she'd be thrown out for being a pauper

nohio

Reaction score
TF is a brand about sex and luxury and excess, so if you're claiming to be all about "hope & change" (as Obama is), how can you let your wife shop excessively at brands which cater to people who are doing everything they can to counter change? Either he cuts the empty rhetoric and says what he actually intends, or his wife stops spending hundreds of thousands on clothes, otherwise he looks & his wife look like liars.

95% of Americans don't know who Tom Ford is and wouldn't care anyways. I didn't see these photos anywhere in the news and while its possible they showed up on some popular media outlets, most Americans would just look at her and think that she looks nice and that she is dressed up appropriately to meet with the queen. To most Americans she is simply a celebrity, and celebrities are supposed to wear fancy clothes.

I think you completely overestimate the average American's interest in fashion and brands. Lots of Americans would be pissed off to find out much her dress cost and like some have already stated here, assumed it came on the backs of taxpayers. But those people likely didn't like the Obamas already.

Just because you can't get over your idealistic fixation with his campaign slogan doesn't mean his family looks like liars (there are plenty of other conspiracies, besides their inflated clothing budget, floating around to supply that need). Unlike most presidents, he came by his money through his own hard work and he can spend it as he pleases as far as we care. Yes, it would be nice if he spent a little more on his tailor.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm a liberal Conservative (UK), and I like my statesmen dressed well & expensively; but TF is a brand about sex and luxury and excess, so if you're claiming to be all about "hope & change" (as Obama is), how can you let your wife shop excessively at brands which cater to people who are doing everything they can to counter change? Either he cuts the empty rhetoric and says what he actually intends, or his wife stops spending hundreds of thousands on clothes, otherwise he looks & his wife look like liars.
Her job, her money, her clothes - it's really that simple. Time to re-evaluate your attitudes towards women, perhaps? Given you are from the UK - and thus this really has nothing to do with you on multiple levels - your multiple posts on this matter are filled with particular venom. Methinks you are compensating for something, and I suspect Condolezza knows why:
small-penis.jpg

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by saint
Michelle is a beast. Granted she looks less horrible in the op pic
than usual, but to suggest that she is anything other than ugly
is absurd.

I agree, Michelle Obama and Barack Obama are ugly beasts.

Voting for Obama Bin Laden/Barack Hussein Obama was by far the biggest mistake I ever made.
angry.gif
cloud.gif
eek.gif
eh.gif
facepalm.gif
mad.gif
plain.gif
frown.gif
uhoh.gif

I should have voted for the far superior John McCain.

And, FWIW, I much prefer Sarah and Todd Palin to Michelle Obama and Obama Bin Laden/Barack Hussein Obama.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've made my points clearly, without any ambiguity. There's no point reiterating because it'll fall on deaf ears. Either you don't understand, or you're choosing not to understand. Bye bye.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Oh, we understand.
rolleyes.gif

Um, your previous post makes it really very clear that you don't.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
racist.

Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
lovely neighborhood around here these days.
facepalm.gif

Wow for a forum much devoted to criticising other peoples
looks and outfits the beer goggle (blind by ideology maybe)
effect when it comes to Michelle is out of control. She is not
Good looking and usually dresses like Malibu Barbie's closet
blew up on her, yet we are constantly told how beautiful and
stylish she is by the press and other people who apparently have
No sense of beauty , or really bad eyesight.

Nothing racist about it, I thought the same thing about Hillary
When she was flotus and got that kind of press and thought
Barbara Bush was kind of an embarrassment. Actually it's kind surprising
How few babes have ended up as flotus.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads