• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oatmeal....confused about its food group.

greg

Reaction score
Hi guys....I have a high cholesterol count so I have a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. I am also trying to lose weight and having a big amount of it keeps me filled up until almost lunchtime....my question is under what grp does oatmeal fall under? Is it a carbo or a variation of a carbo?

F4iryder14

Reaction score
Oatmeals falls under, and I hope I remember this right, the category of a low glycemic carb. Basically, they are a slower burning carb that lasts longer in your system (as opposed to sugars and other simple carbs) that is why you feel fuller longer, and it will actually give you more energy throughout your day. Starting out with complex carbs like this is a great idea. Yams, wild rice and to a good degree potatoes as well as similar foods also provide good slow burning carbs to fuel workouts/cardio sessions. I don't see how they would negatively affect your cholesterol, but I am not positive.

Kevin

greg

Reaction score
Thanks Kevin for your advise. I am due for another physical in 3 months and after having oatmeal every morning for the past 5 months I am looking forward to a major ireduction in my cholesterol count. I know I am also losing weight because of the changes I have made in my diet but sometimes, I have a feeling I am not losing the excess pounds fast enough until my sister told me it could be because of the amount of oatmeal I take in the morning. Any other comments out there would be greatly appreciated.

F4iryder14

Reaction score
Keep in mind that I mentioned that oatmeal on the whole is a pretty powerful carb (the purer it is/less sugar added the better the energy benefit).  Depending on your body type/metabolism and how active your job is, if you don't burn those carbs off during the day or by working out/cardio, they can be stored as body fat.  But, if you are getting them early in the day then I would not worry too much about it.  Just listen to whay your body tells you and don't be afraid to switch something up if you are not getting the results you want in terms of weight loss.  Each person's body is different and what works for one person may not work for another.

As for weight loss, shoot for 1-2 pounds per week, and only weigh yourself every 2 weeks so you don't freak out, as your bodyweight can change from 3-5 pounds on a daily basis depending on diet/water level/stress, etc. And weigh yourself in the morning after you go to the bathroom, as that will be your most accurate weight.

Kevin

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how many servings of oatmeal do you eat in the morning? what kind of oatmeal are you eating? what are you putting in it?

i'd recommend eating a single serving of old fashioned or steel cut oats, boiled in water, with either a scoop of natural peanut butter or a sliced banana.

greg

Reaction score
I have a big bowl (roughly two servings) and I don't put anything in it. I am a purist that way....I tried putting honey, raisins even yogurt but thankfully, I don't have a sweet tooth. But the oatmeal I eat is the instant-microwave-in-5-minutes variety. I know this is not the best way to eat oatmeal, but I figured it's better than not having any at all. Please tell me that's true? I don't have the time and the patience to cook a bowl every morning.

Thanks..

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since you mentioned you don't have a sweet tooth, i'm assuming you didn't mean 'instant' as in the kind that is flavored, right? you mean 'instant' as in the ingredients are 100% rolled oats, but cut small so that they cook fast? if it's the latter, that is absolutely fine.
so long as you're only eating oats, without sugar or milk, you are doing your body good. the only reason i mentioned natural peanut butter was that it keeps you full longer (because of the fat, the good kind) and makes it taste a little better. i also mentioned the banana because it is a way of making the sweeter without adding refined sugar. since you like it plain, you are doing great...but perhaps try cutting down to 1.5 servings? you mentioned trying to lose weight: realize that american portions are far too big, try eating as close to single servings at meals (they call them servings for a reason.) as you can.
but, imo, oats that are cut bigger, such as old-fashioned or steel cut, are even better for you because they take longer to break down and have an even lower glycemic index. they rub is that they take longer to cook as well.

repressedm

Reaction score
Steel cut oats are great. What exactly do you mean by "natural" peanut butter? Can you link to an example?

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the diff between steel-cut oats and the instant Quaker oats that I zap in the microwave for 2.5 minutes for my breakfast? Taste? Nutritional value?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Steel-cut oats are more complete as grains, but they take about 30 minutes to make. The quick cook quaker oats are fine, but the instant cereals aren't.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks repressed and Eason. I will try some steel-cut oats. Can you recommend a good-tasting brand?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of oatmeal. I make the Quaker 1 minute variety most often. Steel cut oats taste better but take longer to make than the time I have to spend making them.

Frank Rizzo

Reaction score
The best kind of oatmeal is made from steel cut oats. Steel cut oats take a long time to cook, but cooking time can be cut down dramatically by soaking them first.

Oatmeal with blueberries is a wonderful breakfast to have to lower cholesterol. Try adding a scoop of whey protein and some ground flax for even more nutrition.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo
Oatmeal with blueberries is a wonderful breakfast to have to lower cholesterol. Try adding a scoop of whey protein and some ground flax for even more nutrition.

I often add blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and dried cranberries to my oatmeal. Apples or pears are also good with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads