Oatmeal....confused about its food group.

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by greg, May 9, 2004.

1. why

why Senior member

If you're eating oatmeal to reduce cholesterol you aren't trying hard enough. You have to eat an ungodly amount for the fiber in oatmeal to matter, which makes you fatter, which raises triglycerides and cholesterol.

Go for a run and skip breakfast.

2. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Steel cut oats are great. What exactly do you mean by "natural" peanut butter? Can you link to an example?

Most of the popular brands like Jif and Skippy have added ingredients like high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, maltodextrin, etc. Natural peanut butter is actually made from peanuts and sometimes a little salt.

You have to stir it up when you open it because the oils separate and you get a pool on top, but other than that it tastes much better than the brands you had as a kid.

My mother-in-law just uses peanuts in a food processor. I don't think she adds anything else. When we don't have a jar from her, we buy Laura Scudder's All Natural Peanut Butter.

http://www.laurascudderspeanutbutter.com/products.aspx

Thanks repressed and Eason. I will try some steel-cut oats. Can you recommend a good-tasting brand?

McCann's has very good steel cut oats and a quick and easy version that only takes 5-minutes to cook.

http://www.mccanns.ie/

3. repressedm

repressedm Senior member

Ah, I have eaten Laura Scudder's before. It's good.

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Actually oatmeal is manna from heaven in many ways. One of the big benefits is the way it moves between food groups.

Add fruit: oatmeal becomes a serving of fruit
    Add peanut butter: oatmeal becomes a serving of nuts
    Add chocolate: you have dessert
    Add meat: you need help.

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

If you're eating oatmeal to reduce cholesterol you aren't trying hard enough. You have to eat an ungodly amount for the fiber in oatmeal to matter, which makes you fatter, which raises triglycerides and cholesterol.

For me, I just love it - I always have. I don't eat it as part of a cholesterol reducing diet.

6. whacked

whacked Senior member

I have added tuna and peanut butter into oatmeal before. The result was surprisingly satisfying.

Oatmeals don't magically "moves between food group though". [​IMG]

7. why

why Senior member

That'd be called haggis. (Actually, it works well in place of breadcrumbs in many recipes like meatloaf tat require a starch).

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I have added tuna and peanut butter into oatmeal before. The result was surprisingly satisfying.

Tuna in oatmeal? Not for me.

9. whacked

whacked Senior member

Tuna in oatmeal? Not for me.

I know. That was when I lived in a college dormitory, and often got hunry late night when the cafeteria had already closed. Thus interesting (and some might consider disgusting) combination emerged.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Because of your first statement, I reserve the right to ignore your second statement. So there. [​IMG]

That'd be called haggis.

(Actually, it works well in place of breadcrumbs in many recipes like meatloaf tat require a starch).

...I've heard of Haggis, and read where Anthony Bourdain speaks highly of it. I also understand it goes really well with scotch, provided you consume the scotch first in copious quantities.

And I'm totally taking notes on the binding qualities of oatmeal. How that never occurred to me before I have no clue. I've certainly had to scrape out a saucepan or twenty.

11. blank

blank Senior member

Is Quaker Oatmeal's "regular" variety healthy?

12. whacked

whacked Senior member

Correct answer: depends on how, when, and why you eat it.

Dumb one: I guess.

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I think you're missing the point. You don't eat oatmeal because of the over-advertised "cholesterol-reducing" thing. You eat it because it's a decent, filling meal that isn't loaded with cholesterol. And while I'm certainly pro-exercise, "not eating" isn't really a viable long-term health plan.

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Is Quaker Oatmeal's "regular" variety healthy?

Yes. The easy way to tell, as someone else said, is read the ingredient list. It should be: oats.

15. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

McCann's has very good steel cut oats and a quick and easy version that only takes 5-minutes to cook.

http://www.mccanns.ie/

Thanks! I think our supermarket has this. I'll try it tomorrow.

I usually get the 2.5-minute Quaker's but today I tried the 1.5 minute Quaker's (hey, I saved a full minute!) and it didn't taste as good, probably because it was milled so finely.