• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oasis

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acquiesce
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Ryan Adams is one of my all-time favorite artists, but I cannot stand this cover. I actually enjoy and prefer the Oasis version. It's funny, because I love Ryan Adams for the melodies he chooses, and yet he manages to avoid everything melodically that I liked about "Wonderwall."

+1. Well, I'm not a Ryan Adams fan at all but I just never understood the popularity of his version of Wonderwall. There's nothing special about it asides from the fact that it's slower, in a different key (I think), and has fewer lines in it. Nothing new at all and therefore not worth recording or releasing. This is usually in line with my take on cover songs.

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
+1. Well, I'm not a Ryan Adams fan at all but I just never understood the popularity of his version of Wonderwall. There's nothing special about it asides from the fact that it's slower, in a different key (I think), and has fewer lines in it. Nothing new at all and therefore not worth recording or releasing. This is usually in line with my take on cover songs.

You have to take the two as almost two completely different occurrences. Kind of like The Smiths and Morrissey. Can you listen to Morrissey knowing what he CAN be when a part of the greater? Not so much. On it's own? Great at moments. Same for this cover - it is a great song on it's own, but you can't compare it to the original.

My favorite story about this cover is that Noel supposedly heard the song and was digging it for a while before realize that it was HIS song.

videogeek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cleav
Try Elbow - "one day like this"
+1. That Glastonbury video gives me chills. As for Oasis, I've always liked the band, but hated the freaking whiny vocals. Verve is a different story altogether. IMO, they were (with A Storm in Heaven and the early singles, at least) head and shoulders above any other 90's Brit band. Seriously:

superfans124

Reaction score
what? I don't know about you guys, but I love them boys, at least I can always pick 2 or 3 solid songs from every album of theirs to make my Oasis playlist (not including the B-side compilation, the one with Acquiesce, don't remember). I am particularly fond of Liam's vocal, I like the whiskey voice. I understand it's a personal thing, but by vocal along, I don't think it's any more unpleasand than, say Billy Corgan's cat-scratching-on-chalkboard-voice, and Brian Johnson's squeeze-my-nuts-so-tight vocal, which both are classics in their own very annoying way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics