• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oakland police shoots unarmed man - caught on tape

lizmasc

Reaction score
ktvu.com "” BART-Police who patrol the Bay Area's subway system came to break up a fight. They had a 22 year old man named Omar Grant in handcuffs and on the ground when an officer shot him point blank in the head.

http://www.ktvu.com/video/18409133/index.html

From the video the young man is offering no resistance and has his hands in the hair
confused.gif
smiley2.gif

Here's also from another camera:

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i hadn't seen this. I suppose its going to be argued that the gun went off accidently, and that the officer drew it as standard procedure when they suspect a person is armed.

From the video it looks like he drew his weapon for cover, and didn't expect it to discharge. I'd think that shooting that close to another officer would be highly unusual.

Either way, its a terrible loss. I'm sure this will make the police's job even harder, and will provoke more problems with citizens dealing with them.

My rule for police. STFU, do what you're told. Do not give them any reason to see you as a threat of any kind.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This was an unfortunate situation that IMO could and should have been avoided. It's very hard for me to understand a restrained person being shot in the head.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. A whole group of people threatening the cops so much that the police officers had to set up a perimeter just to defend their fellow cops breaking up a fight and/or making an arrest. More threatening, more yelling.... the cops were clearly in need of defending themselves. Were they threatened? Clearly.

heard546

Reaction score
Have you ever been treated in a manner similar to what's in video? I have, and I was 17 at the time with a broken foot. I was riding with a friend follow our high school bus from a track. We were stopped because were DWB, and the experience there after remains with me til this day 21 yrs later. The car was stripped, my cruches were taken from me and slung across a freeway. We did nothing wrong to be stopped, and did everything we were told. Still, we were treated very similar to video, but left by side of the road.

I have cousin that's a detective in the Dallas Police Dept. that told me early on about what to do when stopped. And yet, my experience is being played out again several years later.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is fucked up for sure. There is no doubt in my mind that the discharge was an unforurtunate accident. It isn't difficult to just shut the **** up and comply with the police officers.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything in the video that justifies the execution of that kid. The situation was under control, almost everyone was in cuffs and on their stomach, the crowd was calm and at a safe distance and the victim was subdued.

If there was a problem he should have used non-lethal force first. I didn't see his baton, pepper spray or Taser used. Even the other cops at the scene were surprised.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lizmasc
ktvu.com — BART-Police who patrol the Bay Area's subway system came to break up a fight. They had a 22 year old man named Omar Grant in handcuffs and on the ground when an officer shot him point blank in the head. http://www.ktvu.com/video/18409133/index.html From the video the young man is offering no resistance and has his hands in the hair
confused.gif
smiley2.gif
Here's also from another camera:
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
That name, Omar is not good to have these days.

dsgNYC

Reaction score

jaymovement

Reaction score
the officer should be brought up on manslaughter charges. there is nothing that justifies firing a weapon in this situation. even if he was running his mouth he was on the ground and clearly detained. oakland citizens have every right to be angry and afraid of the police.
apparently the man that was killed has a daughter.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rioting? what a surprise.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rioting will be a very effective way of:

1. Getting more people killed
2. Harming innocent people and their property
3. Living up to their stereotype

jaymovement

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Rioting will be a very effective way of:

1. Getting more people killed
2. Harming innocent people and their property
3. Living up to their stereotype

stereotype?

obviously youre right about rioting. i don't agree w/ it but these people are upset. how do you suggest getting the attention of the higher ups...writing a letter?

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
My rule, too, definitely.
Same here, I've been pulled over in LA too may times to mention at night for no reason, the cops have always been full of attitude. I've been told aggressively to restrain my dog that sits in the passenger seat (He's small, weighs 18 pounds and doesn't bark) before any notice to what I've done. My last run in I was pulled over in Silverlake coming back from the supermarket for 15 minutes, told to sit on the curb in full view of my neighbors and finally handed a ticket for the air freshener hanging from my rear view mirror. From personal experience I have nothing but disdain for law enforcement, compared to officers in my home country of England law enforcement here appears to live up to the stereotype of aggressive, trigger happy, gum chewing sarcastic douche bags (Petty & Childish I know), I hope the citizens of Oakland raise hell!!!.

turboman808

Reaction score
We need some riots like in Greece. These cops are out of hand. Been in this situation for walking up to cops and asking directions here in NYC. I have no love for cops and they never bothered to show me any.

I am sure there are good cops but it's a job that attracts evil sociopaths.

My only saving grace is that we keep a civil rights attorney on retainer. Once I explain that I know my rights and my lawyer knows them better then either of us they back off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics