Oak Street Bootmakers

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by JRyder, Aug 31, 2010.

1. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I'm wondering this too. I was disappointed to see that they stopped making new double soled calfskin PTBs in either chocolate or cognac, despite the fact they are still making the wingtip bluchers. I was considering a single MTO of the PTBs but that gets pricey, and I'm not sure what's going on as far as who's making their shoes now.

2. CommanderMcBragg

CommanderMcBragg Member

So am I to understand that Oak Street is just a re-brander and doesn't make any shoes at all? That the nostalgia photo from yesteryear on their website of "Master Cobbler John Vlagos" is nothing more than marketing...?

I hope that the Bean blucher look-alike that I just ordered from their site is in fact made in Maine and is of decent quality.

3. CommanderMcBragg

CommanderMcBragg Member

In case anyone is interested, I did get an email back from Oak Street's Director of Ops who told me that they have been fortunate enough to have retained most of the people who worked at Highland Shoe, and that I can expect the same standard of excellence as always.

4. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

First post for OSB in this thread.

Ok so ordered the Crazy Horse Trench Boot while they had the Memorial day sale and not sure why but as I was shopping a coupon popped up for another 5% off sot that was 20% in total so seemed like a real good deal as even on Massdrop the OSB cost more than I paid.

This is my first new direct pair of OSB the other pair I have was from MD and bought it still new on eBay from someone that it did not fit.

The box is rather plain and the internal packing just a single paper. Boots were a bit dinged up from shipping but this is a rustic pair so I really don't care much but if this was something dress I would not be happy.

The other pair I have has the Danite sole these have the leather. I have seen others post about glue or some foreign substance somewhere on the boots. My pair was no exception there is some on the sole but no big deal it will be gone today as I walk. But as others have pointed out online a bit sloppy.

IMG_20170602_071956.jpg

They fit well as OSB says they are true to size (something I like) and being a 10D these 10D boots fit nice and snug all over just like a new boot should. These like the other pair of OSB I have should break in real nice and it is not noted on their site but all the trench boots are hot cork footbed and a nice thick leather insole so they mold real nice.

IMG_20170602_110812.jpg IMG_20170602_111407.jpg IMG_20170602_111452.jpg IMG_20170602_111505.jpg

Oh it's a stay at home day so pardon the gym pants with dress socks just had to get some time in with the new boots.

I wanted to post a few pics in the sun to show the color of the boots. The whole reason I wanted this pair is because it's different. If you look at all the other boots out there say AE, Thursday, Wolverine, Redwing, Alden, the list goes on no one really has many strange color options like OSB. Now I think other manufactures do make boots using this leather I just have not seen any for sale recently in this price range. Anyway the point is I was happy with my other pair of OSB so no reason these should be different and I like the leather and color.

As noted not everything was great with the boots the glue on the sole and then the first time I tightened up the laces snap goes the leather lace. Now the last time I had leather laces was when I was like 10-12 on some boots so it's been a while. As I remember those were from Kmart and I remember them breaking but after a long while of use. I sure did not pull hard but I mean it was the first time ever so sure I was trying to get them snug pulling each row one at a time to get the new boots just nicely snug for the first time out. But Anyways I am sure I did not pull that hard and the included lace just snapped so I really think it was a bad lace. Lucky the guy I bought the other pair of OSB included an extra pair of leather laces so I grabbed those and all seems well and I pulled just the same no snap.

Maybe if anyone has some leather lace exp and recommendations let me know as I do like the look of the leather laces on these boots.

So I have only been wearing them a few hours in the house today and things are going good, I think the future for these boots is looking great.

I did want to note something I normally condition new shoes and boots just to nourish the leather so at least I think it molds to your foot better/easier. So when I applied the conditioner it made the leather very dark I was a bit worried but I had done some research on maintaining this leather so I was not to worried. I let the conditioner soak in and dry a little and they were still crazy dark (like a real dark brown). But then I took a plain brush like you would use on cordovan and just brushed them down. This brought them back to almost what they looked like before the conditioner. I let them sit overnight and then again gave them a good brush down and they are now looking just like they did when I received them. I had read a few posting about this leather staying dark after conditioning and it does as I left a small patch unbrushed and it was dark until brushed. So the key with this leather is brush it like you would cordovan and it get it's original color and look back. So the plan is just condition every once and awhile and brush for regular maintenance.

The summary is for day one I am really liking the boots.

5. CommanderMcBragg

CommanderMcBragg Member

My Trail Oxfords arrived today; the quality looks great. Mine have a dab or two of glue on the bottom soles like the guy above reports, but who cares? The "natural" looks cooler/less olive in the photos and I'm second-guessing if I should have gone with brown, though I'm sure these will be fine as they get broken in.

I'm not going to make the same mistake I've made with Quoddy shoes in the past, where it seems counter-intuitive to buy snug-fitting shoes and my feet end up sloshing around in them a few months down the road. These are a decidedly snug size 12 but I'm going to stay the course with them...

6. BackInTheJox

Nice! Got any pics?

7. CommanderMcBragg

CommanderMcBragg Member

I guess these photograph well, because they appear browner in the pictures than they actually are. On the OSB site they looked really close to the old LL Bean bluchers; more so than the brown ones. I would say that the actual color is more of an olive even though they do look like a brown here. Anyone have shoes in this "natural" color from Oak Street?

FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg FullSizeRender.jpg-1.jpeg

8. sazon

sazon Senior member

9. BackInTheJox

IMG_4928.JPG IMG_4929.JPG French calf cognac beef roll loafers yesterday.

10. CommanderMcBragg

CommanderMcBragg Member

Can anyone verify that this company still offers a resoling service for their shoes? By virtue of old forums it appears that they do--or at least they used to--but my emails to both Mr Vlagos and Tony Page have gone unanswered.

11. sazon

sazon Senior member

Tony is no longer with the company but I would keep trying George V. I do believe they still re-sole.