• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

oahu, hawaii

makushin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexei
There is a waterfall that people climb to the top of and dive off. I want to say it's on the southern side of the island. I can't remember the name of it. It's about a two mile hike to the waterfall. It's very popular, someone surely knows the name of it. You can climb to a small point, a medium point, or the very top and jump off. I enjoyed it. It was a nice hike.

Theres one in Kailua, I don't know the name but I've been. Theres an intermediate jump of about 15ft, and a crazy jump where you have to climb up through the woods, hold on to a rope to safely get to the jumping spot, and then jump and hit a 10ft landing spot. It's probably 35ft jump. Is this the one you're talking about?

I almost mentioned it earlier... highly recommend if you're into that sort of thing.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going back to Oahu this weekend for Labor Day weekend. Staying in Waikiki.....Anything new or worthwhile foodwise? I'm thinking of going to Hakone...supposed to be good sushi buffett? ....tried to get reservations for Orchids on Sunday, booked.
musicboohoo[1].gif
On the agenda is Helenas as well as Hank's Haute Dogs...side street inn too...doing a day in the North Shore....going with my brother and parents...celebrating their anniversary, might do a good meal on sunday night (nothing fancy, just good food at a sit down restaurant). ....and as always, Dukes on Sunday afternoon.
devil.gif

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also, where is a good place to get exotic tropical fruits, preferrably a farmers market type place or something!

jungshoe

Reaction score
best plate lunch on the island is ethel's on kalihi street.

hnlax

Reaction score
Brunch at the Moana is a (distant) second to Orchids. The atmosphere is just as nice, though (pretty sure they have a harpist too, and their crab legs are more than adequate)

This is probably all comfort food from childhood (and won't make a solid meal), but there are some things that I think encapsulate hawaii (in a similar way to spam musubi):

Malasadas from Champions. I'm sure you've had Leonards' Malasadas, but Champions' are better. A lot better. More dough-y.

Cocoa puffs from Liliha Bakery. My parents have these in the car when they pick me up from the airport. There's just something about them.

Zippys' chili frank plates. Is it the classiest of places? No. But nothing is better at 3 AM after a night of drinking.

The omakase at zen shu (kapahulu, close to waikiki) is also really good. A family friend (yuji) is the head sushi chef/owner there, but he paid his dues at one of the biggest sushi chains for a long time. He'll blowtorch your shrimp, serve you monkfish liver sushi and just make sushi that you'd never order on your own but be thankful that he introduced to you.

I was just in town for two days (surprised my gf at her university graduation party) and I wish I was back there. Though, I will say--don't bother with brunch at the Prince.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
know any good spots for Meat Jun?

Also looking for some hawaiian bar soaps or artisinal objects that can be taken on a carryon bag...anyone have recos for that? kind of weird..but want something pineapple or coconut! i got those tourist trap cookies (shortbread ones) which were good...

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
know any good spots for Meat Jun? Also looking for some hawaiian bar soaps or artisinal objects that can be taken on a carryon bag...anyone have recos for that? kind of weird..but want something pineapple or coconut! i got those tourist trap cookies (shortbread ones) which were good...
Doesn't a souvenir from Leather Soul qualify??
teacha.gif

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Doesn't a souvenir from Leather Soul qualify??
teacha.gif

teacha.gif

"Eric...why do you all of a sudden have an aluminum suitcase?"

ffffuuuu.gif

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's the sales tax there nowadays. looking online it didn't look like they had one..swear it was pretty cheap....i'lll peep leather soul though.
bigstar[1].gif
hmmm....around 5%, which is half what i pay here.
Hawaii does not have a sales tax per se, but it does have an gross receipts tax (called the General Excise Tax) which applies to nearly every conceivable type of transaction (including services), and is technically charged to the business rather than the consumer. Hawaii law allows business to pass on the tax to the consumer in similar fashion to a sales tax. Unlike other states, rent, medical services and perishable foods are subject to the excise tax. Also, unlike other states, businesses may or may not show the tax separately on the receipt, as it is technically part of the selling price. 4.0% is charged at retail with an additional 0.5% surcharge in the City and County of Honolulu (for a total of 4.5% on Oahu sales), and 0.5% is charged on wholesale.[55] However, the state also allows "tax on tax" to be charged, which effectively means a customer can be billed as much as 4.166% (4.712% on Oahu). The exact dollar or percentage amount to be added must be quoted to customers within or along with the price. The 0.5% surcharge on Oahu was implemented to fund the new rail transport system.[56] The use of an excise tax means that tax-exempt non-profit organizations must pay the tax, unlike states where they are exempt from sales taxes.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice. one of the few times I'll have a car down there. will check it!

one of my hawaiian buddies reco'd it too. we'll see whassup!

iampeter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
know any good spots for Meat Jun?

Also looking for some hawaiian bar soaps or artisinal objects that can be taken on a carryon bag...anyone have recos for that? kind of weird..but want something pineapple or coconut! i got those tourist trap cookies (shortbread ones) which were good...

for soaps : http://www.lanikaibathandbody.com/
thats in kailua i believe

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks. probably going to go to Kailua, love lanikai beach.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
back! had a great time.

Saturday- hit up the North Shore. After getting picked up from the Airport, hit up Soon's in Salt Lake for Meat Jun...awesome stuff. Drove to Dole Factory, got a dolewhip. Drove through Haleiwa, swam at Turtle Bay Beach. Two coconut juices straight from the coconut. Starfruit. Guava. Got some Giovanni's Shrimp..really good stuff. Much better than the truck I had last year. Chilled back in Waikiki.

Sunday- Woke up. Brunch at Dukes (meh). Pool Party at the marriott (wow). Dinner at the new Side Street Inn (AWESOME). Drinks later that night at Apartm3nt (nightclub on the 3rd floor of a condo building...weird stuff).

Monday- Visited Kaiolani where Barack Hussein Obama was "born"
spam[1].gif
. drove around, couldn't get into Hanauma bay (parking full) so hit up Lanikai Beach in Kailua (packed!). Zippys for lunch. Then did a macadamia nut tour which was actually really awesome. Hank's Haute Dogs for dinner (meh).

Tuesday- Waikiki Acquarium. Ala Moana Mall. Booze Cruise. fly back to LA.

all in all, great weekend!

kruze

Reaction score
Ill be going here in October. Has anyone done the stairway to heaven or Mitch's for sushi?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads