NYT: Social Media History Becomes a New Job Hurdle

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by NAMOR, Jul 21, 2011.

Have you been denied employment because of your "social history"

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  3. Perhaps, but not sure

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. Hasn't been checked...

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Nothing we didnt already know but I was surprised with how often recruiters did online research and also by the amount of candiates that have been rejected because of it

Will posing for a fit pic on SF hurt your chances of getting that dream job?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

It will make a difference in this transition period, but once we have a generation of people doing the hiring who have grown up with their entire lives plastered all over google+ then it will cease to be a factor and they'll have to come up with some other reason not to hire people.

3. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I think its a bit overrated when they say it will ruin people's chances of employment.

Although I did look up the facebook profiles of secretaries we were going to hire before calling them in for an interview, just to see what they looked like. often, if someone has no social media results on them, it kind of worries me a bit to be honest.

I do keep my Facebook relatively PG...my twitter is more R-rated but I don't have my name on that or post any personal info.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

4. suited

suited Senior member

One thing I noticed about facebook is that, even when your profile settings are set to the most "secure", you can still find things via Google. I googled my name (I have a pretty unique name) and posts I had made on facebook groups years ago were showing up. I went back and deleted them all - but I'm beginning to question if I even want people on FB to be able to see where I work and who I'm in a relationship with, etc.

5. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

This. I too have a unique enough name that I found old group wall posts from 4 years back! Luckily it was nothing to worry about. What irks me the most is even if you delete photos, they aren't actually deleted for some period of time (I think it's a month, last time I read). I ended up deleting my FB profile a month ago (perma delete, not deactivation) but I'm guessing the photos still reside on the server.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

6. javyn

javyn Senior member

This is why for the last week and a half I have been systematically deleting my Facebook posts. I'm back to April of '10 now. Once I'm done, whenever that may be....goodbye Facebook.

7. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

Yea, its all about twitter with a name that doesn't come back to you. :teach:

8. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Did a quick google search of myself and nothing from facebook popped up. Only linkedin. People who allow their obnoxious social network activity to be searchable on the internet deserve what ever comes to them.

9. otc

otc Senior member

While this is taking it further than I would like to go (since I am fine with using facebook and only post things I am ok with posting)...I might consider doing this with older posts.

nobody is going to read anything I wrote a long time ago on facebook...and facebook has changed so much over the years that what was once appropriate might no longer be so good now that grandma and HR are all on facebook.

It is easy enough to do this with pictures since you can scroll through from either end...but pulling up old posts doesn't have a "go to first post" option....

10. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

I think there is a lot of truth to this. At some point there will be a whole generation of people doing the hiring who also put up pictures on a social network of them having a drink or two with friends. It will not be as frowned upon then.

Having said that, I am a lot more careful these days on what I have and do not have on my profiles. Deleted a bunch of old photos and comments. My privacy settings are a lot more restrictive and I generally do not post as much garbage for fun as I used to.

Honestly, unless they did up some violent or racist comments a lot of this shouldn't really be held against you in a job search anyways. People have personal lives and like to have fun.

11. arirang

arirang Well-Known Member

As social media becomes more common and most people establish some form of online presence (Google+, Facebook, Myspace, blogs, Twitter, Bebo, forums), companies will realize that they are going to fishing in an awfully shallow talent pool if they rule out resumes that do not measure up to a perfect social media standard.

Sure if someone is spending their weekends as a militia gun nut or using meth and posting pictures of it on FB it will, shall we say, have an adverse effect on their job hunt. But if someone puts up a photo of themselves doing shots at their brother's bachelor party, that is probably irrelevant to their suitability to be, say, a financial analyst or librarian. Having a life outside of work hours is not something to apologize for IMO.

12. Jr Mouse

I do think people need to be smart about these things. Putting up one or two photos of you at a party or bar having drinks is fine, having whole albums of photos of you doing shots at random places may be frowned on.

I do wonder to what extent they can get to your profile if you have your privacy settings high. Does signing a background check agreement let them force a company like FB to let them access hidden albums you have?

13. suited

suited Senior member

It has nothing to do with "allowing" it. My facebook settings have always been the most private/secure since I've joined. There's nothing you can do to prevent something from coming up in a Google search, as of right now.

14. Jr Mouse

My experience is that most images you put on FB won't show on general Google search results. Occasionally you will get a few, but overall FB is fairly walled off from Google's search engine.

15. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

your profile pic shows up and its only the thumbnail image in most cases. sometimes the cache is a previous image.