• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYT Article - Younger men dressing better than older men, Mad Men style, etc

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
David Colman has been writing some good stuff lately. We should invite him to the forum, as he's on his way to becoming an igent: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/17/fa...17PERFECT.html

They had inexpensive ones from Sebago, which felt too light and flimsy. They had the Aldens, called the "full-strap slip-on," but in calfskin, for a costly but not crazy $390. They also had a style, the plaza slip-on, with a higher vamp that was cooler and more attractive. With a ruler, I determined that a 6 1/8-inch vamp was too low, and a 6 7/8 vamp was just right. And they also had those Church's "” still lovely, and still $645.
Bravo!

TheDroog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phillyesq
I certainly hope that dressing better becomes a trend, but I have my doubts. I also don't buy the whole rebellion angle. My father never dressed like a slob, and if anything, he set an example for me re: dressing well. I don't choose to dress well as a rebellion.

I've had thoughts about this too. I don't think we're ever going to return to the "glory days" when everyone wore tuxedos to the opera and neckties to dinner. That era has passed.

But I think more people, especially teenagers and young adults, are paying more attention to fit and materials. They may be wearing jeans and oxfords, but they will be well-fitting jeans and black fleece oxfords. When I was younger, guys didn't talk about clothes, ever. Now people are. That's the difference I'm talking about, and I think it'll stick around.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
I don't think we're ever going to return to the "glory days" when everyone wore tuxedos to the opera and neckties to dinner. That era has passed.

Nah. It will come back. It might be a few years or a few decades, possibly a century or two ... but it will come back.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
I've had thoughts about this too. I don't think we're ever going to return to the "glory days" when everyone wore tuxedos to the opera and neckties to dinner. That era has passed.
good riddance i hate girl jeans, hoodies, and nike dunks but what is UP with peoples obsessions of stove pipes, dead actors, and great depression era menswear. how many pre-color-television "lifestyle" illustrations do people here collectively have? "i know what i want to dress like - a 60 year old fcking CARTOON!"

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Nah. It will come back. It might be a few years or a few decades, possibly a century or two ... but it will come back.

Before or after the resurgence of togas?

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
good riddance

i hate girl jeans, hoodies, and nike dunks

but what is UP with peoples obsessions of stove pipes, dead actors, and great depression era menswear. how many pre-color-television "lifestyle" illustrations do people here collectively have?

"i know what i want to dress like - a 60 year old fcking CARTOON!"

Do you mean you hate to wear all that or you hate that other people are wearing "all that"?

No matter what your answer is you seem to be one crazy duude.
confused.gif

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
good riddance

i hate girl jeans, hoodies, and nike dunks

but what is UP with peoples obsessions of stove pipes, dead actors, and great depression era menswear. how many pre-color-television "lifestyle" illustrations do people here collectively have?

"i know what i want to dress like - a 60 year old fcking CARTOON!"

You are the bravest soul here on SF, having a self-portrait as your avatar.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Do you mean you hate to wear all that or you hate that other people are wearing "all that"?

No matter what your answer is you seem to be one crazy duude.
confused.gif

ffffuuuu.gif

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
You are the bravest soul here on SF, having a self-portrait as your avatar.

im making inroads towards taking daily photos for WAIWT

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's more wishful thinking, I wear suits to job interviews, client meetings and special events. If I am just working it's more a nice shirt, dark rinse jeans, blazer/sports jacket and nice shoes.

I do think there will be trend towards buying for quality as opposed to buying crap or the brand name exclusively. That is a trend I can live with.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew people on this forum would comment on that article that I stumbled upon!
laugh.gif

However, for me, Styleforum got me interested in Mad Men - not the other way around.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
However, for me, Styleforum got me interested in Mad Men - not the other way around.

^This.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
Dressing like a slob is so last century.

I certainly hope you are right!

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Smith
I do think there will be trend towards buying for quality as opposed to buying crap or the brand name exclusively. That is a trend I can live with.

+100

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Smith
I think it's more wishful thinking, I wear suits to job interviews, client meetings and special events. If I am just working it's more a nice shirt, dark rinse jeans, blazer/sports jacket and nice shoes.

I disagree with this. People are just brand whores.

Which is good for us, as we get it on the secondary market for cheaper!
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads