1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NYE Emergency. Only have Grey suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Emoore17, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Emoore17

Emoore17 Member

How can I make this work? It is a semi forms event. This event is last minute and I don't want to look like a complete idiot.

I don't have any Blazers or anything tailored except 1 nice light grey suit. What to do. I am stressing out.

Please help [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

New white shirt, navy grenadine tie, good black shoes. Done and done. It's about as good looking a neutral outfit as you are going to find.

3 people like this.
  3. Emoore17

Emoore17 Member

Thank you! I won't look too out of place with a gray suit?

4. LA Guy

Honestly, I have no idea, since "semi-formal" in 2015/2016, has virtually no meaning. The classic definitions of "formal"=tails and semi-formal=tux/dinner jacket has been gone forever. "Formal" today means tux, and "business" is obvious, and enough people have figured out "business casual" that there are standard uniforms. "Semi-formal", however, is hard to figure out. Maybe it's best to ask the host wtf semi-formal means for his/her event.

5. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Unless it said very clearly "black tie"

formal typically means "suit and tie with dress shoes"

I could be wrong, because technically "formal attire" can mean black tie (or white tie), but no one says this anymore meaning black tie because formal to most people simply means "jacket and tie"

so you should be fine with any suit and tie.

and i just reread and it you say "semi forms"... so yea, just where that suit you will be fine.

6. Emoore17

Emoore17 Member

Thanks for the insight guys. I'm thinking something like this would look pretty well. Something I just came across on the internet [​IMG]
    I'm going to try to piece this together by deadline.

7. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

8. GBR

GBR Senior member

s the host what apparel he/she expects everyone to wear. Formal implies evening dress to me.

9. Seamless

Seamless Senior member

That shirt looks pretty awful. Go white with a darker tie and you'll be golden.

10. Emoore17

Emoore17 Member

[​IMG]

I did this last time. I will wear black shoes tonight though. Does this work? or tie suggestions. I have one for navy blue

11. Seamless

Seamless Senior member

Much better.

1 person likes this.
  12. LA Guy

A solid, navy tie, would work better for an evening event. That tie, with that suit, is pretty business-y. A solid would work better for NYE.

13. LA Guy

As for the dark shirt, light suit, idea. You see pictures of George Clooney, and he generally looks pretty good doing this, especially sans tie. It also worked on Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin in Daredevil. But most of the time, you'll end up looking like a low rent pimp who bought his entire outfit at one of those places where you can get 2 100% polester suits (shirts and ties included) for $150.