• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC Today

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made my semi-annual pilgramage to the City today (beautiful day!!), this time for the NY Custom Knife Show, also to satisfy my pastrami urges, and to look at a Lotus Exige in Manhattan Motorcars.

I was pretty surprised at the decline in dress in the City since I was last there (November '05). I do alot of walking when I'm there, as I enjoy NY, and walked about within 26th to 56th Sts, and from 11th to 3rd Aves. Saw only one guy who looked really sharp -- good suit, good tie, pocket square. The rest of the 'suits' were pretty drone-y. Even the women's attire, which I usually enjoy as I live in the sticks, seemed 'off' to me, and in the Theatre district, too -- those annoying leggings things and tightish black capri-like pants and really dull little black flats. Even the boots so prevalent in Fall were kind of ugly and swayed toward a slouchy cowboyish style.

As an aside, I have to say that Manhattan Motorcars is a major rush. Several Lambos, Porsches galore (which I don't really like), a Carerra GT which is mindblowing, a friggen Spyker C8, which is indescribable, and RR's and Bentley's of every stripe. Supposedly they deal in Saleen, but I didn't see one -- I think they are MTO anyway. Very nice experience with the Lotus salesman, though.

I wore my best Huntsman sans tie with an FC blue herringbone shirt, greyish blue silk ps, and cordovan bluchers. Pretty much think I looked better than a big chunk of the suited population.

So New Yorkers, have you seen this trend, or was the unseasonal weather knocking people out of their normal routines?

~ Huntsman

ps. Walking along with the naked cowboy next to you is just strange.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the UES.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads