• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NYC Today

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made my semi-annual pilgramage to the City today (beautiful day!!), this time for the NY Custom Knife Show, also to satisfy my pastrami urges, and to look at a Lotus Exige in Manhattan Motorcars.

I was pretty surprised at the decline in dress in the City since I was last there (November '05). I do alot of walking when I'm there, as I enjoy NY, and walked about within 26th to 56th Sts, and from 11th to 3rd Aves. Saw only one guy who looked really sharp -- good suit, good tie, pocket square. The rest of the 'suits' were pretty drone-y. Even the women's attire, which I usually enjoy as I live in the sticks, seemed 'off' to me, and in the Theatre district, too -- those annoying leggings things and tightish black capri-like pants and really dull little black flats. Even the boots so prevalent in Fall were kind of ugly and swayed toward a slouchy cowboyish style.

As an aside, I have to say that Manhattan Motorcars is a major rush. Several Lambos, Porsches galore (which I don't really like), a Carerra GT which is mindblowing, a friggen Spyker C8, which is indescribable, and RR's and Bentley's of every stripe. Supposedly they deal in Saleen, but I didn't see one -- I think they are MTO anyway. Very nice experience with the Lotus salesman, though.

I wore my best Huntsman sans tie with an FC blue herringbone shirt, greyish blue silk ps, and cordovan bluchers. Pretty much think I looked better than a big chunk of the suited population.

So New Yorkers, have you seen this trend, or was the unseasonal weather knocking people out of their normal routines?

~ Huntsman

ps. Walking along with the naked cowboy next to you is just strange.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the UES.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20