• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC suit hunting: bring the lady?

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've covered about 5 shops here in the city in the last two days:

Bergdorf's, Barney's, Ralph Lauren, Jil Sander, Freeman's Sporting Club...

and I'm wondering. Do the gentleman suit-wearing sartorialists on SF go shopping for clothes with their wives or girlfriends?

I have two observations, having gone with my lady:

1. The first thing the salesmen do is turn to her for validation. Then they explain why the suit's so nice. Or why it's a good cut 'for him.'

2. My girlfriend loves it. She tells me she finds these swanky, professional men's places almost intoxicating.

I'm wondering, though, if it might be better to go to these places without a woman. I've read enough here and in some books to know the general info about suits. But the salesmen explain things to me not realizing I understand, for example, what MTM is. They also seem to think I'm just looking to get a suit as quickly as possible, and not all that sophisticated (granted, I'm young-looking, wearing jeans, probably messy hair, etc.) And the fact they talk to my girlfriend, it's like, "Well, since you're here, I guess he's afraid he'll get something ugly." I actually just bring her along to teach her about the process, and because she enjoys it, and because it's nice to have the company.

How do you all shop when you're seriously looking for 'the right suit'?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The default setting is 'no' for most men.

But how has her advice been to you in the past?

PS You're sure to get better, more intelligent service if your outfit suggests you know what you're doing already.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211

PS You're sure to get better, more intelligent service if your outfit suggests you know what you're doing already.

Oh, I'm aware of that. The only problem is this is really my first 'working' suit. The only other one I have is my black, and I just feel a bit off dressed like I'm heading for a funeral, but just happened to stop in to look for a charcoal grey interview suit
biggrin.gif
. As a student, I have, up until now, always worn casual clothing. Yesterday, I actually shed my usual denim for khaki pants, just to look a little less casual.

The other trouble, however, is that I just look young. Though I'm 35, most assume I'm about 25, so unless I had a full suit already, I don't think it would be apparent that I've actually done the homework.

This definitely feels like a first hump.

To clarify one thing, however: I have generally been impressed at the professionalism of the salesmen, their patience and lack of hard-selling. Not one nasty look when I mentioned I was just looking, and not a hint of pretension or condescension. I appreciate that.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even wearing a well-cut blazer will up the salesmen's game. I'm sure you have those.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even wearing a well-cut blazer will up the salesmen's game. I'm sure you have those.
Nope. I'm a law student who took off almost ten years since college. Before that, worked as an artist and volunteer overseas. Have never had to have a decent suit, blazer, nothing. I'm working on building an entire wardrobe from scratch, i.e. tennis-shoes, jeans and hipster T-shirts. Thanks for the help, though. Now I'm thinking maybe I should get myself a sportcoat and some trousers first. Then the shoes. I already plan on going to CEGO for some shirts next week, as well. Since I'm living on debt, I need to make these professional purchases wisely and with an eye that they'll last. One thing is for sure: I'm very happy that I have signed onto SF and read up in advance of going out and shopping. I have a much sharper eye for what to look for.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
only one good reason. most ladies are good at judgeing if a color looks good on you.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're really bargain hunting, you might check the better consignment stores in the city.

On the Upper East Side, there is Gentlemen's Resale.

Downtown, there's Tokyo 7 and INA, among others.

The downtown stuff is more fashion-oriented but you might find a nice lawyer-appropriate Zegna, Brioni or Canali for cheap.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're really bargain hunting, you might check the better consignment stores in the city.

On the Upper East Side, there is Gentlemen's Resale.

Downtown, there's Tokyo 7 and INA, among others.

The downtown stuff is more fashion-oriented but you might find a nice lawyer-appropriate Zegna, Brioni or Canali for cheap.

Thanks. I'll look at those places. I kind of gave up on the idea of finding a bargain: my problem is that I'm a small 36; the availability of the most commonly-bought color in my size is nil. The guy at the Jil Sander store told me he knew they were already sold out--everywhere in the country.

My other option is MTM, which I am considering. I will probably go to Mr. Ned's next. However, as I'm very thin, I'm afraid of getting the same kind of thing I used to get back in high school: the boxy, Americanized look, without a lot of choice to improve on that. Example: pleats on trousers. They just do not look good on me, no matter how small. I'm simply too thin.

The search continues. I now understand that bringing the lady was a rookie mistake. I at least recognized it before making any purchase. Also, I'm the artist in the couple, and she has a fairly unsophisticated eye for color, so she's not really going to help in that dept., either.

Ah, well...

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other bargain option is C21.

If they have something appropriate in your size, perhaps no one else wanted it and it will be severely marked down.

eothdl

Reaction score
Bah! I bring my girlfriend. For a big purchase, why not have two pairs of eyes? Plus, I get anxious in stores. I'm prone to rushing a purchase.

I went to Gentleman's Resale about a week ago and they didn't have a very good selection in my size, 36R. Most of the clothes looked thrift store quality not consignment, too. I wasn't very impressed.

Patrick

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eothdl
I went to Gentleman's Resale about a week ago and they didn't have a very good selection in my size, 36R.

I'm a small 36R. No one has much in the size. At least not enough to where there's actually a 'selection'.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
My other option is MTM, which I am considering. I will probably go to Mr. Ned's next. However, as I'm very thin, I'm afraid of getting the same kind of thing I used to get back in high school: the boxy, Americanized look, without a lot of choice to improve on that. Example: pleats on trousers. They just do not look good on me, no matter how small. I'm simply too thin.

The search continues. I now understand that bringing the lady was a rookie mistake. I at least recognized it before making any purchase. Also, I'm the artist in the couple, and she has a fairly unsophisticated eye for color, so she's not really going to help in that dept., either.

Ah, well...

First of all, we are probably around the same size. I'm a slim 36 regular/short (long torso) with a 28" waist. My current significant other is also a graphic designer by trade and is studying fashion at Parson's. She's attentive to clothing. We rarely shop together since our aesthetic interests are totally different. I would make this a consideration before making purchases together (e.g. no matter how much she likes the black/eggplant pinstripe Gucci suit, it shouldn't be your first professional purpose).

As far as MTM options are considered, I recommend both LS Clothing and Mr. Ned for your initial suit. Both can be had for around $750ish with your own fabric or a little under 1k if you choose a basic VBCs from their books. LS has the advantage of stocking a fair selection of end bolts that drops the final "out-the-door" price to around $800-850ish. Feel free to PM me if you need a basic fabric at a pretty good discount since I have bolts growing from my ears...

With regards to styling, Ned is pretty good as accomodating for different looks if you are very specific--this is all based on heresay and a few examples I've seen from other forum members. I use LS, and if you ask for a relaxed shoulder and a slightly higher armhole, the final product is a decent garment without a specific regional "personality." Given your needs, I believe such a cut would do quite nicely. I do not understand your aversion to pleats. Personally, I think pleats look best on skinny guys, especially smalller skinny guys since they act to elongate the legs. Pleats, in my opinion, are more off-limits to the 44S with 38" waists who take on the appearance of squares.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
only one good reason. most ladies are good at judgeing if a color looks good on you.

I agree, that's their only area of expertise in menswear.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I agree, that's their only area of expertise in menswear.

But as most of this knowledge is a dubious hodge-podge of snippets gleaned from fashion magazines, it's best to take any advice from her with a large grain of salt. She can excercise her eye for color in the cosmetics department where she belongs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads