• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC Socialites

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
So I recently moved from Boston to NYC, knowing absolutely no one in New York.

I worked in PR in Boston, and was naturally invited to many events and parties, and quickly became pretty well known in the Boston social scene - and received more event invites than i knew what to do with.

So thats all gone now, and I miss it. And i never thought I would miss it. My job doesnt provide any social connections and its hard to break into the scene without knowing many people.

My Question: Does anyone deal first hand with events/parties? I'd love to get put on some type of mailing list. Also, any tips for meeting the right people and getting invites would be greatly appreciated.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WoodyStylee

I worked in PR in Boston, and was naturally invited to many events and parties, and quickly became pretty well known in the Boston social scene - and received more event invites than i knew what to do with.

So thats all gone now, and I miss it. And i never thought I would miss it. My job doesnt provide any social connections and its hard to break into the scene without knowing many people.

My Question: Does anyone deal first hand with events/parties? I'd love to get put on some type of mailing list. Also, any tips for meeting the right people and getting invites would be greatly appreciated.

You miss hanging out with glorified housewives?

Also, NY social scene is a little different. The buy in is a little... more costly.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two completely different beasts. In Boston, really, what are you doing? Anyone with a decent social sense can crack their way into the Boston "social scene," which is, what, a few drinks here and there at the Four Seasons, dinner at Moo? Oh, your snap in the Improper Bostonian next to some schmucks who work for Staples and John Hancock.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
Two completely different beasts. In Boston, really, what are you doing? Anyone with a decent social sense can crack their way into the Boston "social scene," which is, what, a few drinks here and there at the Four Seasons, dinner at Moo? Oh, your snap in the Improper Bostonian next to some schmucks who work for Staples and John Hancock.

+100

Unless you r looking to network professionally, NYC is one big social scene. It is easy to meet people here, but harder to sell them something and that is why I moved from that backwards village called Boston..

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The social scene in NYC involves things like the opening of the met, the hamptons, st. barts, big money fundraisers and private events, which usually mean you have to be shelling out a huge amount of money.

dacia1300

Reaction score
velvetlist.com, join and socialize away, kidding btw. depends on what you're into, uptown or downtown set?

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
It seems sort of lame that you even care. Maybe I don't get it. Shouldn't you just look to be friends with fun and interesting genuine people? Not look to get into some fake "circle"?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The people that you circled with in Boston must surely know some people in NYC. Why don't you tap into your old network for introductions?

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
It seems sort of lame that you even care. Maybe I don't get it. Shouldn't you just look to be friends with fun and interesting genuine people? Not look to get into some fake "circle"?

My reason isn't to join the cast of 'The City', or anything close to it
laugh.gif
. I just dont know anyone in NYC, and think it would be a great way to meet new people. I know Boston doesnt even compare to NYC, but I met a lot of cool people and I would like to follow suit in new york.

Its kind of hard to word this without sounding gay, but i really need to meet some potential wingmen. Anyone can go to a bar and meet a bunch of chicks, but its kind of awkward to do that with guys.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My reason isn't to join the cast of 'The City', or anything close to it
laugh.gif
. I just dont know anyone in NYC, and think it would be a great way to meet new people. I know Boston doesnt even compare to NYC, but I met a lot of cool people and I would like to follow suit in new york.

Its kind of hard to word this without sounding gay, but i really need to meet some potential wingmen. Anyone can go to a bar and meet a bunch of chicks, but its kind of awkward to do that with guys.

Yes, gallery openings, hospital fundraisers, breast cancer drives, private showings at the metropolitan and luncheons with bored, spoiled housewives are TOTALLY where you'd go to meet wingmen.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Go to NY Social Diary and you will realize that the cost of this **** is astronomical.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Take SoCal out to lunch and listen and absorb
smile.gif

NYC is really the BIG apple. A world unto itself.

I'm absolutely no one special whatsoever. Yet in Houston, Tx where I've lived for many years I've met and known a couple of mayors (including the current one ), many Congressman, a POTUS, many major business people in Oil and Real Estate and lots of the founding and old money families of Houston.

The point is that this would be unimaginable ( at least to me ) in NYC. It's just a huge stage with much complexity. I love to visit NYC but I couldn't imagine ever living there again.

As to meeting NYC socialites I would think family connections, big money, and the right kind of notoriety would help a lot.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i meet people in nYC ALL the time its almost impossible not to make a friend/ acquantence( sp)
I find the people of NYC to be very freindly and its not just because I am in the fashion industry which is a HUGE plus being a straight male....like shooting fish in a barrel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads