• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC shopping in 1 day?

tyates

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a 1 day shopping trip up to NYC and hitting a few clothing stores for casual spring/summer wear. Any thoughts on what part of the city that I should spending most of my time in?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends what you're looking for....for streetwear, then I'd say SOHO for boutiques....but for dress you are probably better off in Mid-Town. You get Sak's, BG, and I'm pretty sure Kiton, Lobb, Oxxford, C&J, and most of the other flagships are in mid-town.

Edit: I just read the "casual" part. I would hit Soho.

jeskali

Reaction score
I would plan to spend half your day on madison ave starting at barneys and working your way south through 57th st and down to paul stuart. then for the other half, go to soho and hit stores like thom browne etc...

tyates

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check out soho as said. Barneys and all the stores along the upper side are nice but a bit too dressy for what I'm looking for. As for soho, any thoughts on what shops I should hit?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeskali
I would plan to spend half your day on madison ave starting at barneys and working your way south through 57th st and down to paul stuart. then for the other half, go to soho and hit stores like thom browne etc...
When I'm in NYC for a day of shopping I spend most of my time on Madison by starting at the Alden shop at 344 Madison and stopping at the RL mansion. I do go over to 5th to take a quick look in Saks and BG.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd skip some of the big department stores like Saks and Barneys. But, Bergdorf is definitely worth a stop--there's nothing you'll find at the other two that will eclipse what you'll find there.

My favorite smaller stores in city are Davide Cenci, Jay Kos, John Lobb, J. Press, and Cellini (for watches). Kiton and Borrelli could be interesting. I might drop by Lattanzi to gawk. As someone said above, just about everything classic is in midtown. You could drop by Oxxford, but it's kind of boring for just browsing.

Personally, I always make time during a one-day trip into Manhattan to go up to Zabars and H&H in the Upper Westside.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go to Barneys on 60th/Mad, Borrelli is just across the street on 60th. Also, the Berluti display in Barney is just great; it's got shoes, belts, bags.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Barney's tie selection is the best in the city imo.

akaidiot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tyates
Thanks. I'll check out soho as said. Barneys and all the stores along the upper side are nice but a bit too dressy for what I'm looking for. As for soho, any thoughts on what shops I should hit?

If Barney's is too dressy, you're better off posting this in the Streetwear forum. Places you may like in Soho/tribeca: Opening Ceremony, APC, Steven Alan, Odin, Den, Bblessing, Nom de Guerre.

chronic

Reaction score
Also, there's a Uniqlo store on Broadway, as well as a Bloomie's down the street. +1 for the APC store, too.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on APC and Steven Alan....there's also a Paul Smith, Ted Baker, John Varvatos, usually some cool stuff in Jack Spade but not all clothes.....just wander. There's also a Barney's Co-op there, but I think it's just women. There's great stuff on every street and it's a wonderful neighborhood to walk around....explore and enjoy.

Make sure you stop in Vosges for some great chocolate....and slide down to mott street for some xiao loong bao at Joe's Shanghai.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're definitely in the wrong forum if Barneys is too dressy... There's quite a few NYC people who could give you good tips on the city in Streetwear. Try posting there.

chronic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
There's also a Barney's Co-op there, but I think it's just women. There's great stuff on every street and it's a wonderful neighborhood to walk around....explore and enjoy.

The Co-op is women's only, as I found out the hard way. But I also recommend walking around; there are a ton of stores to explore.

tyates

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I'll check out those shops in Soho and maybe some quick eats on those places also mentioned.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on uniqlo. its a great store for cheap quality casual wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads