• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NYC Shirt Tailoring

KaiserSose

Reaction score
I did a quick forum search for this and couldn't find any good answers for my question.

I'm looking for a reliable tailor that is reasonably cheap. I bought a bunch of shirts at Saks during the sale and the sleeves are a few inches too long for me. I also want to get the sides taken in and the button hole adjusted on the collar on a few. Should I just do it with Saks or is there better options out there? This is the first time I've purchased quality clothing so I really really don't want to fuck it up.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Slese will run you at least 20 and side 15-20.
what do you want to do to the buttonhole on the collar?

KaiserSose

Reaction score
It will seriously be that expensive? The guy at Saks quoted me at $18 for each shirt for the sleeves. Maybe that's my best bet. My girlfriend said if I move the buttonhole I can turn a 15.5 into a 16. I have an oddly fatish neck for having a fit body which causes shirts to fit a little weird.

dano

Reaction score
Were these dress shirts? Generally OTR dress shirts are sold by neck/sleeve length. It sounds like you bought shirts that fit you in neither of the measurements.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Well the shirts that are off in the neck but they are only off by a tiny bit. I could probably even get away with not adjusting it, especially since I don't wear ties to work.

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't there a correlation between neck size / shoulder size? Like a 15/32 shirt wouldn't fit the same on the shoulders as a 17/32, right?

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
Depends on the shirt maker. One size 15 might have an 18" shoulder, another 20". I too have quite the weird proportion, with close to 15.5" neck, but a size 14.5 body, and a 35" length sleeves. Without going too high end, MTM is really a blessing.

Usually for necks, it's something I do myself given that there's only about 0.25" to move, and tie space of about less than 0.25". Any bigger might make the neck look disproportioned.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To shorten the sleeves of a shirt more then an inch, the tailor must either remove the sleeve placket and reset or take the sleeve out. a time consuming job.

the larger the neck size, the larger the body/yoke of the shirt.
If you do not button the collar, then just leave it alone. You could get a needle and thread and move the button.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 234 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 116 15.8%
  • 31 - 40