• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC Restaurant recomendation

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can we sticky this thread as the ultimate NYC restaurants thread? The restaurant recommendation thread is a good idea, but its a bit difficult to categorize by city.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of good recommendations. Babbo is great but on the higher end of the spectrum. Dell'anima, Pepolino and Gusto are all good recs, but Pepolino is in Tribeca. Morandi is nice but feels a bit fake - I still like it.

Sticking to the initial description, the only one I'd add is Barbuto. West Village, smallish, great oven-baked specials, menu changes all the time to accomodate seasonal ingredients. I like Barbuto a lot.

I also like Gemma in the Bowery Hotel. On the East side of the Village but not too far.

riverrun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Lots of good recommendations. Babbo is great but on the higher end of the spectrum. Dell'anima, Pepolino and Gusto are all good recs, but Pepolino is in Tribeca. Morandi is nice but feels a bit fake - I still like it.

Sticking to the initial description, the only one I'd add is Barbuto. West Village, smallish, great oven-baked specials, menu changes all the time to accomodate seasonal ingredients. I like Barbuto a lot.

I also like Gemma in the Bowery Hotel. On the East side of the Village but not too far.

I haven't been to Barbuto but will have to go sometime soon on the strength of your description.

I like commerce a lot for what it's worth. West village and on a quiet street, although it can be pretty bustling inside. Not an "italian restaurant" as such but carbonara and tripe on the same menu probably qualifies it for the purposes of this thread.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
pocketsquareguy if you are talking about next friday-> next weds, you should come out with us for a drink

mellowfellow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all great recommendations.

I liked casual restaurants the best and lupa is great. Baboo reservation may be hard at the last minute. Not sure if anyone mentioned scarpetta. its not in the village but i loved it!

as for august, not sure if it is exactly italian but on a nice day, you can sit all the way in the back of the restaurant that feels like a garden.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
I highly recommend Babbo.

Takes a while to get on the list, but it's well worth it.

Got the sampler menu + bottle of wine with my wife. Came out to around $200-230.

We don't eat this extravagant often, but I would go there anytime we are able to splurge.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Babbo, especially if you would like a little more adventurous take on Italian. While it is too late for reservations, they keep 2 2-tops in the bar area open for walk-ins. If you go early, you can usually snag one.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I just returned from our trade show in NYC. We had dinner last night at Gusto. It was very good and had a very friendly staff. Thom Browne was there when we arrived.

We had dinner at August the night before and the setting was very, very charming. Their glass covered patio in the rear is delightful as the sun is setting. The food was great and a little different. Excellent wines too.

I would recommend either.

I wish we had time to try Babbo, but a client wanted to take us to Delicatessen in Soho instead. I wasn't too impressed. Will make it to Babbo for sure on our next trip.

Thanks again guys for all the good recommendations.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump. I am going to make this an unofficial NYC restaurant recommendation thread.

Looking for Turkish/Middle eastern cuisine in Manhattan (midtown or below, preferably). Going with a group of about 6. Bonus points if there are lots of vegetarian options (shouldn't be an issue for turksih food). Thanks!

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What type of restaurant? Something like the best kebab in town but with paper napkins and plastic forks, or something more upscale with an atmosphere and crowd but maybe not the absolute best food?

Barbounia may be a good idea if the latter. Pera is not bad either.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
What type of restaurant? Something like the best kebab in town but with paper napkins and plastic forks, or something more upscale with an atmosphere and crowd but maybe not the absolute best food? Barbounia may be a good idea if the latter. Pera is not bad either.
Looking for something a bit upscale but nothing too outrageous. For some odd reason, Barbounia's menu isn't available online. Any experience with the Turkish Kitchen on 3rd ave?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
menupages.com

Haven't been to Turkish Kitchen

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Still on the Italian route, I've had several very good meals at Mia Dona, near Bloomies.

http://events.nytimes.com/2008/04/02...dona%22&st=cse

Its well decorated on the inside with a very attentive staff, though its far from being stuffy. Prices are excellent by NYC standards, and the $12 brunch items are worth every penny.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads