• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC Mens Furnishings - Retail Location

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the NYCers - and frequent visitors - on here: if you were looking to open a men's furnishings store in Manhattan - think cufflinks and PSs - where would you put it? Poll's up there, but I'm happy to take suggestions also.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Question for the NYCers - and frequent visitors - on here: if you were looking to open a men's furnishings store in Manhattan - think cufflinks and PSs - where would you put it? Poll's up there, but I'm happy to take suggestions also.

None of the above. I would put it downtown somewhere between 14th street and Grand street.

Harper

Reaction score
In NYC sometimes you choose your lease but, more often than not, your lease chooses you. It's hard to imagine a men's furnishings store that doesn't have some "corporate" backing being able to afford the rents on the UES/Soho/Nolita/... Best bet would be a sidestreet in midtown on the second floor or higher.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since when have these items been called "Mens Furnishings"?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The meaning's clear enough in American English, though Fussell would probably have an opinion about it. You'd prefer something else? Shoot.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
None of the above. I would put it downtown somewhere between 14th street and Grand street.

Care to elaborate? Are you talking someplace like SoHo west of Broadway?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not the LES?

mic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Why not the LES?

+1

I voted for midtown, but that was the best of a bad lot of choices. I'd never go to midtown planning to buy anything. But then, I hardly buy anything in NYC anyway, except food.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your expected customer base? Generic office worker, hipster etc?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point. I'm thinking more discerning customer with disposable income rather than generic office worker or hipster. Think Dunhill rather than Kenneth Cole or Vingt sur Seize.

sellahi22

Reaction score
I say Columbus Circle. it'll get tourists and west siders going to williams-sonoma, whole foods, one of the restaurants, or that corner of central park. also there will be no competition for men's gifts in the area.

Brooklands

Reaction score
What about Meatpacking. Bleecker St in the WV. Chelsea (the boystown crowd spends $$). I'd say the mall is the worst idea, and midtown is next. Madison and 5th on the UES are good for a certain clientele but for the most exposure to the most varied crowd of shoppers it's SOHO. But at the end of the day Harper is right. In order to make it work on a "limited" budget in the City, your best bet is to open on a small side street somewhere, make sure your shop has a ton of atmosphere and things people want and to get the word out, because there is a TON of competition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads