1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NYC Meet-Up, TONIGHT, Tuesday 7/22!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Claymore, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Mr. Claymore

Mr. Claymore Senior member

We're here. Please do. We just ordered drinks.

I think I'm afraid to know what that means....

2. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Let me thank Mr. Claymore for arranging last night's gathering of the iGent clan, and Tony, the manager of Bar Vetro, for taking such good care of us, and the cast of characters for making it a most entertaining evening - Mr. Claymore, the Thin White Duke, Tirailleur, Matt Deckard (he of The Fedora Lounge fame), the master tailor Rory Duffy, and, of course, myself. Food and drink were consumed, much schmoozing was done, and general merriment was had by all. Photos were taken as we were departing - our photographer, a gentleman just out of a museum preview at the Modern (he had stolen a glass to prove it!) was so enamored of our group that, after taking some iPhone shots of us six, importuned a passerby to take a photo of the seven of us, with the gentleman's own camera. A most entertaining coda to a most pleasant evening.

2 people like this.
  3. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

Echoing the above!
    What a stroke of luck for me to be in town and able to attend this gathering to rub shoulders with some solid citizens for top drawer food, drink and conversation. Thanks to all for making this nomad feel at home. Good luck to all and I hope our paths cross again some day.

2 people like this.
  4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sorry I couldn't make it, folks. Had an interview to prepare for that I have to go to in about 15 minutes. I did have a dream I went though. I got into a fight with two or three of you. Nobody won, as we were all too drunk to fight properly.

3 people like this.
  5. Sander

Sander Senior member

:laugh:

Of course I only meant to take pics and post them.

1 person likes this.
  6. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

It was obviously a dream - you'd never risk injury to the G & G's, no matter how drunk you were.

Best of luck with the interview, in any case.

1 person likes this.
  7. Viral

Viral Senior member

Sorry for not making it as well, sounds like you boys held it down though.

Meeting Uppr Crust would be worth the price of admission alone :D

8. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

I do believe that we did hold it down, and, despite rumors to the contrary, I'm not that hard to meet . . . :satisfied:

1 person likes this.
  9. Mr. Claymore

What is wrong with you New Yorkers? All of you have been so gracious and charming. Why don't you get together more often???

It was indeed a wonderful end to my New York trip. What a great evening! Crusty it is you though, who is the true gentleman. I owe you twice now! We had great conversations and delightful bonhomie all around. You all should have been there. Crusty, as I said is a true gentleman; the Duke is indeed thin, white, and regal; Ni is a true creative visionary. Matt knows more about hats than anyone I have ever met, including some bespoke hatters; and Rory is a true master tailor, drinker, and raconteur. Matt, Rory, and I actually found ourselves in a pub down the street where we discussed the finer points of tailoring and hat making until 1:30 in the morning! I also learned two very important things: one does not F*$% with Mr. Duffy nor the monkeys of Monkey Mountain in Hong Kong.

A word about Messieurs Duffy and Deckard: They are some of the friendliest and most knowledgeable people I have every met. The forum sure likes to crap all over them and it is simply ridiculous. It would just be nice if many of the posters here could come to understand that people like them are the actual experts and try to learn from them instead of disparaging them.

Thank you so much for coming! The next buying season is at the end of January so I am planning on setting up another get together then. Hope you will be back in town. Good luck with all your projects!

We understand, though you were missed. I hope your interview went well. If we had stayed out much later I could see your dream coming true. However, Rory would have won, hands down.

10. Mr. Claymore

Ha! Ok, I suppose I handle that much!

No shoe circle but I think this works better for our group:

[​IMG]

Guess who's is who's!

It's a pity you weren't wearing on of your fine chapeaux, Crusty. I have a feeling though that Matt is going to help you add to your collection....

11. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am sorry my holey hat wasn't able to join you. I was further away than I had thought.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  12. haganah

haganah Senior member

Monsey?

13. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

60th and Fifth. I don't think I've ever been to Monsey.

14. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

I got that distinct feeling when Matt, with a pleading voice, asked if he might measure my skull (outside, on the corner of 58th St. and Third Ave. - not my usual venue for taking a fitting, but more than sufficient to the task, spontaneous as it was). I cannot remember last when someone took such delight in taking one of my measurements (and no, not THAT one - get your mind out of the gutter!). A grey Homburg is on my wish list, and Matt's expert advice as to its shape and configuration would be greatly valued.

When you return in January, Mr. Claymore, I will make sure to be wearing a chapeau whenever I see you - an easy thing, as NYC in January usually requires that I cover the unthatched roof that is my cranium.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  15. Matt Deckard

Matt Deckard Active Member

From accents in Get Carter, to Nape to Scye measurements, to Star Trek, the conversations were running wild and were all superb. It's wonderful to hang out with so many that have a razor sharp perspective on tailoring and menswear today. PASSION MY FRIENDS, PASSION!

After the larger meet up, Claymore, Duffy and I roamed off to an inviting Irish pub and went over some real beautiful minutiae of suiting and drape regarding jackets being open or closed. I really wish we had more time and that I had taken some pics.

Thank you for inviting us out Claymore… It was wonderful!

1 person likes this.
  16. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

Mr. Claymore is much more charming in person

Crusty is much more wittier in person

Thin White Duke needs to find a way to start taking better pics because his pics don't do his outfits any justice.

Rory looks and talks like a rockstar

Deckard knows hats.

... and we are all nerds at heart.

1 person likes this.
  17. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

. . . and Tirailleur is even a cooler dude in person than on-line.