• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC Lineups? - MoMA, Met, etc

breitlingman

Reaction score
I'm heading into NYC for the first time on Friday, and we are planning to go to MoMA and the Met museums... the websites mention something about "skipping the line"... this leads me to believe that there are long time ups to get into these places.. We were planning on hitting them up during the week in the morning on monday and tuesday.. is the lineups less at these times? Are there generally much line ups at all this time of year? is the site full of ****? Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

DeadDJ

Reaction score
As an NYC tourist, the only time I know you'll run into a terrible line is Free Fridays at MoMA. It is a shitstorm. Otherwise it's just a judgment call (don't go evening Friday, or normal times saturday and sunday afternoon). You should be fine on Monday and Tuesday.

breitlingman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
The Met is closed Monday.

Darn. Thanks for the heads up. Seems like a lot of stuff is closed Mondays.

mccvi

Reaction score
Due to budget cuts, Manhattan will be closed on Mondays.

amnesiac

Reaction score
When you're at MoMa, you should stop by the Hallal chicken and rice cart. During the day it's the cart on the sw corner of 53 and 6th and at nights it's the sw and nw corner but the nw stays open until 4am.

This cart is seriously the best street food in NYC imho ymmv but 863 people agree with me.

I know this isn't really helpful, but it's delicious in a completely unpretentious way.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Tim Burton's exhibition at the MoMA. Its worth the extra charge.

breitlingman

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys - The Tim Burton exhibition looks very good.

I might try that street vendor too - no trip to NYC would be complete without some of that. I also booked a table at Jean Georges.. is it as good as its supposed to be?

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breitlingman
Thanks for the tips guys - The Tim Burton exhibition looks very good.

I might try that street vendor too - no trip to NYC would be complete without some of that. I also booked a table at Jean Georges.. is it as good as its supposed to be?

clearly, 863 people think the halal rice cart is better than JG. Personally, I don't think the cart would stand out in a blind tasting but, it's a nyc institution. You might want to be careful about not cutting the line. JG is great, not sure it's worth 20 chicken and rice platters, but then again, what is?

I strongly suggest you see the Frick while in town. It's our favorite nyc museum.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
clearly, 863 people think the halal rice cart is better than JG. Personally, I don't think the cart would stand out in a blind tasting but, it's a nyc institution. You might want to be careful about not cutting the line. JG is great, not sure it's worth 20 chicken and rice platters, but then again, what is?

I strongly suggest you see the Frick while in town. It's our favorite nyc museum.

But that Halal cart line is so long. It's even longer at midnight or later! I usually pay about $40-50 for JG main dining room lunch. Is the halal cart $2.00-2.50?

mccvi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by breitlingman
I also booked a table at Jean Georges.. is it as good as its supposed to be?
absolutely. so much so that last time relatives were in town we ate there fives times in one week, and never tired of the menu. if there are naysayers, ignore them. jojo is also a great little place with a well-honed menu.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mccvi
absolutely.

so much so that last time relatives were in town we ate there fives times in one week, and never tired of the menu.

if there are naysayers, ignore them.

jojo is also a great little place with a well-honed menu.

JG formal dining room is very good. Jojo, not so much. I would much rather go to Perry St instead of Jojo.

mccvi

Reaction score
Never tried Perry based on some bad reviews, but will have to give it a try.

I do recommend not counting Jojo out....

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perry St is awesome.

Nougatine - the no-reservation space inside Jean-Georges - is also fantastic if one's in the neighborhood but no JG reservation.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'm not sure why that one Halal cart at 53rd and 6th is so popular. The line is always huge, and half the time they're just pulling lamb or chicken out of a vat. I don't eat it all too often, but I find Rafiki's along Park ave (57th and 54ish) to be much better. Their stuff is is fresher (not pre cooked then dumped on the hot griddle), cooked better, and they at least loaded with vegetables on top rather than just seasoned chicken/lamp over rice with lettuce.

JG is awesome, and a great value for lunch. I also like JoJo too, but would prefer Cafe Bouloud or even Bistro Moderne.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads