• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC Jobs: Nighttime

TheBlackBruceWayne

Reaction score
so i'm planning on moving back to new york

i'm an actor, so i need to be available to audition during the day

what are some ideal nighttime jobs one could inquire about?

i would bartend/barback, but i dont have any NYC experience which alot of people seem to want

any ideas??...

i have a BA degree lol...not sure if that helps any

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So find a bar that doesn't need NYC experience and start there...

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
bet he never considered that.

What about back of the house restaurant work? Can do dishes or buss or **** like that probably. If you're smart and charismatic enough (and have experience but just not nyc experience) you can probably bump up to waiting tables or barback/tending soon enough. Money isn't great though.

Also, you could try to get a job as a nightime secruity guard at an office building, parking garage, or something else like that.

Also nightime janitors at universities isn't that hard and probably could get in there. Could probably just plug in your ipod and do some mopping and ****.

Cashier at 24/7 place

These aren't ideal i do know but something in the mean time until you do stumble upon something better. Also, what hours are you talking about? Some of the ones i'm mentioning are late late night. Didn't know exactly what you were planning on.

when all else fails, just hit up craigslist and look around at the different categories for what's available to get some ideas

vettloffah

Reaction score
I think at first you should be looking for ANY job, then look for something more fitting to your needs.

and do u have any non-NYC experience?

TheBlackBruceWayne

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vettloffah
I think at first you should be looking for ANY job, then look for something more fitting to your needs.

and do u have any non-NYC experience?

the majority of my work experience is in sales. but sales jobs are during the day, so that wouldn't work for me

Originally Posted by chronoaug
bet he never considered that.

What about back of the house restaurant work? Can do dishes or buss or **** like that probably. If you're smart and charismatic enough (and have experience but just not nyc experience) you can probably bump up to waiting tables or barback/tending soon enough. Money isn't great though.

Also, you could try to get a job as a nightime secruity guard at an office building, parking garage, or something else like that.

Also nightime janitors at universities isn't that hard and probably could get in there. Could probably just plug in your ipod and do some mopping and ****.

Cashier at 24/7 place

These aren't ideal i do know but something in the mean time until you do stumble upon something better. Also, what hours are you talking about? Some of the ones i'm mentioning are late late night. Didn't know exactly what you were planning on.

when all else fails, just hit up craigslist and look around at the different categories for what's available to get some ideas

thanks for the options. yeah i've been considering night security/janitorial/doorman work

late night hours dont bother me at all, as i would need 9am-4pm at least open to audition

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cab driver. I've had tons of drivers plug themselves and give me their business cards.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hotel industry (front desk, bellhop, security, etc.)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
drug dealer....

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Street Rx

Originally Posted by ter1413
drug dealer....

Looks like there is an untapped market for daytime drug dealing...
fight[1].gif

heavy D

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
Hotel industry (front desk, bellhop, security, etc.)

That's what I would suggest. Hard to get a job in hospitality without experience, but you might have a shot if you're willing to work 3rd shift/night audit. In fact I'm working 3rd shift right now at a hotel, although just subbing (and also not in NYC). Keep in mind basically every aspiring actor there is looking for exactly the same thing you are.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this was ruled out or something but there are plenty of those overnight processing type jobs - you know processing warranty, survey cards, cheques, etc. that happen at night. My brother got hooked up to one of those for a bedding company and basically went in at 8pm after the office was closed and worked till he finished his batch (which was early or late night depending on volume).

It doesn't pay much though.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
male stripper

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the big banks, consulting firms and some other large corporations have back office staff working through the night. If you're good with powerpoint/word and you prefer this kind of environment to a bar or club, you could get one of these jobs as a presentations/word processing operator. Most of the people who do this in my company are artists or do their own thing during the day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads