• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nyc in 6 days, need some advice on settling on these clothing items, already done my searches

eddiecibrian

Reaction score
I'm flying to nyc to celebrate nye. Now I don't have any comfortable shoes other than running shoes and it's hard to make a decent winter outfit with running shoes(correct me if im wrong)
I'll most likely be wearing jeans and a wool overcoat.
I plan on walking around the wet/possibly icy roads without slipping and falling on ******.
I am looking for some pretty cheap (under $150) comfortable walking shoes that have somewhat acceptable styling with decent traction.
I would invest in something like the Alden Indy, and shoes from red wing, but im not sure if it'll ruin them to walk in the nasty manhattan streets.

Also I am considering buying a suit from the suit supply store in nyc. But right now the ralph lauren where I live has a sale and they have a charcoal anthony suit in my size for around $950. I really like the anthony suit but am wondering if 950 before taxes is still not a steep enough discount to pull the trigger for a staple color. After all, I still prefer a navy suit. (I have none of the above colors)
This would be my attire for NYE and 2 weddings in march and april. Would solid charcoal be a good choice for all of these?

Would the anthony be a better bang for your buck than buying a suit from suit supply or even modern tailor?
I've read most of the threads in SF about these 3 suit brands and I've only tried on the Anthony suit so far. Just need you guys to help me make a final decision.
thanks in advance

Last edited:

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm flying to nyc to celebrate nye. Now I don't have any comfortable shoes other than running shoes and it's hard to make a decent winter outfit with running shoes(correct me if im wrong)
I'll most likely be wearing jeans and a wool overcoat.
I plan on walking around the wet/possibly icy roads without slipping and falling on ******.
I am looking for some pretty cheap (under $150) comfortable walking shoes that have somewhat acceptable styling with decent traction.
I would invest in something like the Alden Indy, and shoes from red wing, but im not sure if it'll ruin them to walk in the nasty manhattan streets.
Also I am considering buying a suit from the suit supply store in nyc. But right now the ralph lauren where I live has a sale and they have a charcoal anthony suit in my size for around $950. I really like the anthony suit but am wondering if 950 before taxes is still not a steep enough discount to pull the trigger for a staple color. After all, I still prefer a navy suit. (I have none of the above colors)
This would be my attire for NYE and 2 weddings in march and april. Would solid charcoal be a good choice for all of these?
Would the anthony be a better bang for your buck than buying a suit from suit supply or even modern tailor?
I've read most of the threads in SF about these 3 suit brands and I've only tried on the Anthony suit so far. Just need you guys to help me make a final decision.
thanks in advance

Damn man, rattlin' 'em off there.

1. Unlikely to actually become winter here before/around NYE, so I wouldn't worry too much about ice or ruining anything with weather (obviously, the forecast may change).

2. I say not steep enough. I usually find my RLs at 70-80% off. As far as suit supply, I haven't used them, but quite a few people here have and like their product. I suppose if you have something pretty particular in mind, that could be a decent option instead of waiting out an Anthony.

3. Charcoal is a solid choice, as is navy. A lot of people would say those two colors should be your first two suits. I wouldn't go any more "modern" than RLBL if you are looking for a long term staple. As for NYE, a nice charcoal suit would be just fine, unless you're going clubbing or something (then maybe "less nice").

4. Difficult to say, I haven't used suit supply. I do have RLBL suits and I'm generally happy with them. Obviously not as nice as others in my wardrobe, but fine nonetheless. I think you should be able to find a RLBL Anthony in the 400-600 range. Since it sounds like that's what you really want, I'd focus on that. You might swing by RL while you're here, there may be additional markdowns in the next week or so. Also, remember that other stores carry RLBL suiting, like Barney's, Bergdorf, and Bloomingdale's, all of which are currently having sales.

Just my two cents. Have a great time while you're here!

Last edited:

eddiecibrian

Reaction score
Great advice..i may just wear something else for nye and wait for the black label if suit supply doesnt pan out....bergdorf have suits under 1000? last time i went in there nothing had prices and i walked out with my tail in between my legs lol

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bergdorf have suits under 1000?

During their sales, yes. Often times RLBL gets marked down to 70% towards the end of their sales, which brings the suiting down into a pretty reasonable range. Keep in mind that you'll have to pony up for tailoring though, they (as with most places) usually don't include it for marked down items.

You kind of just have to know what you're looking for there-it's easy to get overwhelmed by all of the Kiton, Brioni, Cucinelli, Tom Ford, etc.

jjc48

Reaction score
For your price range, you could get two of the lower end Suit Supply suits in navy and charcoal. Whether you decide on this or spend on a single finer quality one is entirely up to you and dependent on how often you will need to wear them. I'm happier with the $469 Napoli than my cheap bespoke Shanghai suits and sale price Theory. On par with a Hugo Boss and Zegna I own but those cost twice as much.

From personal experience, while all of the SS sales associates are probably pretty helpful, pick one who is roughly your size and is wearing something tailored to him. I'm 5'9", slim (SS size 35, nearly everywhere else 36R with $200 in alterations) and the tall and big guy assigned to me was pushing to add shoulder padding and pinning to a boxier silhouette than I would have liked. Since they do not narrow sleeves, I elected to have my own tailor make some minor adjustments and he said no shoulder padding was necessary.

Don't forget about NYC's 8.875% sales tax on the clothes and shoes you'll be looking to buy. The Saks in the Houston Galleria should have a pretty decent selection to gauge local prices and sales.

eddiecibrian

Reaction score
Thx for the input jjc...i still have an uneasiness with buying a suit made in china but perhaps i need to overcome that...itll all come down to how it fits and looks. I recently went to the saks in the galleria but as always the goof stuff is never on sale...havnt been
right after christmas though. I just find it hard to believe theyll have the black label
navy suit under 800-900. Are my chances better in ny for finding the bl for a significant discount?

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thx for the input jjc...i still have an uneasiness with buying a suit made in china but perhaps i need to overcome that...itll all come down to how it fits and looks. I recently went to the saks in the galleria but as always the goof stuff is never on sale...havnt been
right after christmas though. I just find it hard to believe theyll have the black label
navy suit under 800-900. Are my chances better in ny for finding the bl for a significant discount?

I say yes.

jjc48

Reaction score
For a sleek Euro fit and decent prices, check out the new Massimo Dutti store on 5th. First one in the US - think better, classier Zara for basics and staples or a European Uniqlo/Club Monaco. Owned by the same conglomerate as Zara actually. You'll be in the area anyway for the bigger name stores and you can take a funny tourist picture by the giant horse.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck and have fun.

I can't comment on the suit question, but regarding shoes, a pair of Redwing Gentleman Traveller boots would be a good choice for the type of outfit you are wearing: jeans & wool coat.

A few years back I spent NYE (total of around 4 days). I only wore my Redwing boots through that entire time. I walked through snow, ice, puddles of water...etc. No problem.

I did Sno-Seal the heck out of my boots prior to first wearing though.

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck and have fun.
I can't comment on the suit question, but regarding shoes, a pair of Redwing Gentleman Traveller boots would be a good choice for the type of outfit you are wearing: jeans & wool coat.
A few years back I spent NYE (total of around 4 days). I only wore my Redwing boots through that entire time. I walked through snow, ice, puddles of water...etc. No problem.
I did Sno-Seal the heck out of my boots prior to first wearing though.

Started to snow here this afternoon. The forecast looks dry for next week, but Lee's suggestion is probably a good one.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Started to snow here this afternoon. The forecast looks dry for next week, but Lee's suggestion is probably a good one.
My suede boots got soaked while shopping today - my coat did, too. Tonight I'll wear my shell longwings out to dinner instead of my better shoes. Glad I brought them along.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The forecast for NYE is no show/rain. NY Day is supposed to bring some more damp-ness.

What are your plans for NYE??

eddiecibrian

Reaction score

For a sleek Euro fit and decent prices, check out the new Massimo Dutti store on 5th. First one in the US - think better, classier Zara for basics and staples or a European Uniqlo/Club Monaco.   Owned by the same conglomerate as Zara actually.  You'll be in the area anyway for the bigger name stores and you can take a funny tourist picture by the giant horse.

browsed through their site, design seems similar to zara indeed, wondering what quality was like, prices a bit steeper than zara

eddiecibrian

Reaction score

I say yes.

do you think if i called in ahead of time they will tell me if a certain item is on sale or for how much?

also any idea where i can find decent chiseled toe (english design) shoes in manhattan for a good bargain?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads