NYC Hotel on a Budget?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by FidelCashflow, Apr 27, 2011.

1. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

I've been scouring expedia, tripadvisor etc to find a relatively cheap hotel in Manhattan. I just want somewhere secure to leave my belongins, somewhere comfortable to sleep and night, and somewhere subway accessible - my budget for 5 nights is $750 (including taxes)

Possiblities I've come across include the Pod hotel, the Jane Hotel and the Marrakech Hotel. Any feedback?

2. Teger

Teger Senior member

try priceline name your own price - i got a very nice room in brooklyn for $100 a night a few weeks ago

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had no problem getting a room in mid-town on priceline for $140-150 a night in April last year, once at the Hilton at Grand Central and once at the W on Lexington. The problem is that as you get into May prices tend to go up so book asap.

Good luck.

5. GusW

PS- The Jane is an "adventure", especially the shared bathrooms. But probably fine if you just want a good location and a place to stash your gear.

6. SirSuturesALot

SirSuturesALot Senior member

Is it too early to Priceline for August bookings?

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I've stayed at the Chelsea Lodge -- like $110 a night, cheap, clean, secure, private bathroom. Och, rates are now up to $124 -- still think it's pretty great! http://www.chelsealodge.com/ ~ H

8. changy

changy Senior member

I suggest priceline as well. Got a room at the hilton for the parents for $125 a night 2 summers ago.

9. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

I doubt the Jane is cheap but I love it.

10. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

I like the Washington Jefferson. No-frills hotel located in Midtown, west side.

Plus there's a fantastic Japanese restaurant off the lobby. The steamed monk fish liver is, dare I say, foie gras-esque.

11. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

I like the Washington Jefferson. No-frills hotel located in Midtown, west side.
    Wow -that really looks like a nice little place - unfortunately it's a bit out of my range since their rates are starting $150+taxes
    try priceline name your own price - i got a very nice room in brooklyn for $100 a night a few weeks ago
    Can someone explain to me how this name your own price thing works? It may sound like a dumb question - but I am by no means a seasoned traveller. Believe it or not - at the age of 27, this is only the second time in my life I've had to book my own hotel. [​IMG] It sounds like I basically have to commit to taking the room before I find out what hotel it is and I can't back out. I tried to run a search using name your own price and it asked for my credit card info first - so I stopped. Seems like a dicey proposition. [​IMG]
    I had no problem getting a room in mid-town on priceline for $140-150 a night in April last year, once at the Hilton at Grand Central and once at the W on Lexington. The problem is that as you get into May prices tend to go up so book asap.
    Wow - I would pay $150 to stay at the W or a Hilton - I always thought those were far more expensive chains. Was this also through name your price? I looked on their regular site and everything like that was $250+ for July
    PS- The Jane is an "adventure", especially the shared bathrooms. But probably fine if you just want a good location and a place to stash your gear.
    I was actually eyeballing the jane pretty hard - especially because they have rooms for $100/night! But the one thing that freaked me out is all the reports of bed bugs there - apparently they have a bit of an issue with it and have numerous complaints on the bedbug report. [​IMG] It's a real shame - because their rooms look like some of the coolest little hotel rooms I've ever seen. [​IMG]
    I've stayed at the Chelsea Lodge -- like $110 a night, cheap, clean, secure, private bathroom. Och, rates are now up to $124 -- still think it's pretty great! http://www.chelsealodge.com/ ~ H
    That looks pretty nice and has killer reviews. I ended up booking at a similar place called the Larchmont Hotel in Greenwhich village for $90/night except it has shared bathrooms - it has pretty similar reviews on tripadvisor - although not as glowing as those. Has anyone ever heard of it? If I find something I don't like about the Larchmont - I'll probably switch to the Chelsea Lodge. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

13. GusW

14. milosz

milosz Senior member

Airbnb.com has some good options as well.

15. kiya

kiya Brand Representative Affiliate Vendor

Airbnb.com has some good options as well.

This.
    I've used the site 7 times now around the world and haven't gotten burnt yet.