• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC guys, if you are out and about in the midtown east area today..

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The carrot peeler salesman is on 53rd and Lex. The guy is wearing a grey PoW suit, dark blue bengal stripe shirt and light blue tie (about 3 1/2-3 3/4 wide). He looks better than 99% of the people walking and stopping by (and he sure sells quite a few of those peelers!). ShumanNYC did a write up on him some time ago and I forgot what his story was but I think I remember that some of his suits are Savile Row
wow.gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They are supposed to be A&S. I think I saw him in Vogue--seriously.

I have to say, I don't know what the fuss is all about. He's sitting on a milk crate, stooped over, with carrot juice splatterings on his cuffs (which are completely showing) and trousers. And he needs to shave.

heavyd

Reaction score
great story in Vanity Fair about this guy. He's always had a penchant for upper crust life - fancy clothes, champagne at the UES hotels and what not - then he marries a divorced (or widowed) wealthy woman and actually lives on Park Ave in a Classic 6...and stored his crates of imported peelers in the living room. But still hits the streets every day and evidently does quite well (tax free?). If anyone ever wants to know what hard work is, look at this guy hustleing out there - very cool in his own way. $1.50 each and he literally sells hundreds a day. people have a few dollars they buy them as gifts or for the house, etc...

Only in NYC as they say...

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heavyd
great story in Vanity Fair about this guy. He's always had a penchant for upper crust life - fancy clothes, champagne at the UES hotels and what not - then he marries a divorced (or widowed) wealthy woman and actually lives on Park Ave in a Classic 6...and stored his crates of imported peelers in the living room. But still hits the streets every day and evidently does quite well (tax free?). If anyone ever wants to know what hard work is, look at this guy hustleing out there - very cool in his own way. $1.50 each and he literally sells hundreds a day. people have a few dollars they buy them as gifts or for the house, etc...

Only in NYC as they say...

Actually, $5 a pop (or 5 for $20). How much clothes must he have that he doesn't care about all that carrot gunk getting on his shirts and suits?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe his name is Joe Ades. He's usually in Union Square on Saturdays (until the Peelers send him packing
laugh.gif
), and yes, they're $5 apiece, 5 for $20. He is the consummate peddler....
nod[1].gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I do miss some of the street life of New York. Some colorful characters there for sure.

Phrost

Reaction score
Lol, I remember seeing him on the street a month ago. I was walking with my cousin and a huge crowd formed around him. When I found out he was selling carrot peelers, I simply shook my head for waiting to get a look at what the fuss was about.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
posted under 'can a smalltimer wear a&s' thread earlier....

* edit - i definitley saw him about in the last monht or so, and looked well. i bought one of the peeler once and it sits in my drawer unused as i can never recall all the fancy moves he did w/ it. i always say 'next time i see him i'll study the moves more closely and remember them', but i always seem to be in a hurry. mabe there's still hope on youtube? rip ..
frown.gif

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loved that guy. What a showman!

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He really looks like a gentleman.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
R.I.P. Joe Ades
03ades_600.JPG

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/ny...ades.html?_r=2

In classic New York fashion, his perch often annoyed me, as he obstructed walking space by drawing a crowd, and yet this makes me rather sad...

Oh my god, this is such sad news! I loved this guy, a TRUE hustler and hard worker. I really respected the hell out of him. He had a great producted he loved and believe in, and he ahd the balls to hit the streets of NY and show it out to everyone. He didnt care how crazy people thought he was.

I can't believe it, I was wondering why I haven't seen him in Union Square in a while.

RIP
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads