• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC Chinatown Dim Sum

playdohh22

Reaction score
Food in Chinatown is going down the crap road. If you're really in for some chinese food and willing to travel further. Try flushing in Queens. Literally lots of resturants that are way better than the ones in Chinatown. Many opened til midnight, including those with dim sum.

Originally Posted by ghulkhan
are you gonna dress up like the girl this time and wear your leggings and long sweaters?

Have you seen SoCal around the city yet?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
are you gonna dress up like the girl this time and wear your leggings and long sweaters?

No, I wore a Marni sweater, Jil Sander trousers and Jil Sander handmade shoes.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I think dim sum is also eaten in the late afternoon as a kind of Cantonese tea time.

Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
You all are wrong. Dim sum is a morning thing. Like 8:30am Sunday morning kind of a thing.

I love chicken feet, and snails, and tripes, and pork ribs, etc. They're what eating dim sum is all about--tasty little morsels that require concentration and dexterity to extract their delicious goodness.

Speaking of which, it's been a long time. I'm gonna have to trek down to NYC Chinatown for some dim sum this weekend.

Both correct. Dimsum is traditionally eaten as a snack, in the morning or in the afternoon, while having tea. The word "Dim Sum", or "Tien Sin" in Mandarin is snacks. Another word for dim sum, yum cha, means drinking tea, so to go have Yum Cha means dim sum and tea.

Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i never understood the appeal of the chicken feet dim sum.

Chicken feet is more skin and cartilage than meat. Mixed that with the spicy sauce and you've got a nice textured experience. I know its hell to eat, trying to extract the small bones in your mouth and (sometimes) looking like a fool while at it, but imho it is worth the trouble- like picking out crab meat from fresh chili crab.

You know what I never understood, Brian? Why is rice in Korean restaurants served in stainless steel bowls? And why are the chopsticks made from stainless steel also?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
No, I wore a Marni sweater, Jil Sander trousers and Jil Sander handmade shoes.

BTW, one thing I try to avoid wearing while eating dim sum is suede shoes. Soy sauce kills it.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
My shoes aren't suede, I don't use soy sauce and most of the time my feet are underneath the table...

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
You know what I never understood, Brian? Why is rice in Korean restaurants served in stainless steel bowls? And why are the chopsticks made from stainless steel also?

I hate the stainles steel chopsticks, they require to much dexterity.

you know what I hate more - when you are in a resteraunt in Korea and they bring you the "white guys chopsticks" and make a big deal of it, so that everybody in the resteraunt knows that you dont have good enough fine motor skills to handle the stainless steel ones.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Green Tea Cafe on the West side of Mott Street about a block and a half south of Canal. They have fun snacks that they serve with the bubble tea late into the night. Not as good as the food at Golden Unicorn or Mandarin Court, but fun for a light meal. The sweet peanut dumplings in a bowl of hot tea are a personal favorite.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score

i dont know why. for me it is no problem . cuz im purebred korean.

i think it is a way to gauge if you are purebred korean or not.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know why, but I will note that Koreans don't pick up the rice bowl while they eat, like the Chinese do. So it doesn't matter that the bowl conducts and retains heat so well that you can't pick it up. Also, probably for the same reason, the chopsticks need to be a little more precise.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

It makes me wonder if the price of stainless steel is far cheaper than the price of whatever they use for regular rice bowls (ceramic?)

Originally Posted by Renault78law
I don't know why, but I will note that Koreans don't pick up the rice bowl while they eat, like the Chinese do. So it doesn't matter that the bowl conducts and retains heat so well that you can't pick it up. Also, probably for the same reason, the chopsticks need to be a little more precise.

I think it would be foolish to pick up a steel bowl of steaming hot rice anyway.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Dim Sum too. I usually have it with tea. The dishes usually served depends on the time of day. The later morning hours they bring out the ducks, bar-b -q dishes, and the young suckling pig. I specially like the tofu-fah which I usually have for dessert.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what would jinda use?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads