• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC Budget Furniture - NEW

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on moving in with my girlfriend in the next few months. I'm past the Ikea stage in my life though I would consider a few pieces (from the Elizabeth store). We checked out West Elm yesterday and the price point seems reasonable with slightly better quality than Ikea. We are also considering purchasing a wall length wardrobe from Gothic Cabinet Craft. Crate & Barrel and Design Within Reach are not within reach of our budget. I've also purchased a loveseat from the Bloomingdale's outlet in Westchester, which was a great deal, but probably too deep for my GFs Brooklyn apt.

Sample sales or seasonal sales recommendations appreciated. I have a compact car, so I can drive to Westchester/LI/etc. but would need to arrange for delivery. FWIW, we are shopping for bedroom furniture and maybe a media center. Our tastes favor classic rather than contemporary, and she prefers espresso/dark wood. I like reds (e.g. American cherry), but will probably concede to darker woods.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you considered Room & Board?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Have you considered Room & Board?

If Crate & Barrel doesn't fit in the budget, I can't see how R&B would. I don't think West Elm quality is worth the retail price. If you're patient, better deals will come along. One thing to try is Craigslist for Crate and Barrel, West Elm, and Room & Board. All seem popular among young people just starting in New York. When they move on after a few years, their lightly used furniture can be had for a good price. I bought (and sold for a profit after two years) a crate and barrel dresser that way, exactly what I was looking for--it was the same "collection" as my bed.

Housing Works sometimes has very nice things at reasonable prices. I'm kicking myself for passing up the pair of slate blue library chairs for only $250 I saw a few months ago.

Also, ABC Carpet and Home sometimes has deep discounts on odds and ends.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ironically I was at the Chelsea West Elm last PM. Anyway there is a 20-60% off sale at the UWS Ethan Allen. They are moving in April so they are selling their showroom pieces as final sale. There was a store around the corner from ABC Carpet that I randomly ran into with a 50% off sale but I don't remember the name.

If you guys know of any other sales let me know. Maybe we should start a NYC sales thread here too.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the updated list. I really like Maurice Villency, I have a medium sized armoire from the company, but I doubt I can afford even the sample sale stuff. I'll have to bookmark the link and keep checking the next few months.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads