• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC Bespoke shirtmaker

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gents, my shirtmaker is no longer in the business and after many years looking for someone new. What are the options these days? Would like to find someone who makes the shirts on premise and true bespoke. Midtown preferred.

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How big of a dealbreaker is making shirts off premise? I was going to suggest Turnbull & Asser on 57th St, but they make their shirts in Gloucester and not on premise.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How big of a dealbreaker is making shirts off premise? I was going to suggest Turnbull & Asser on 57th St, but they make their shirts in Gloucester and not on premise.

Whats the turn around time and price point? This is a MTM program?

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: It's full bespoke. First order has to be a minimum of 6 shirts. Prices start at $425 per shirt. Your test shirt should take a couple weeks to be completed. You wear it for a while, wash it a handful of times to see how it shrinks, and then go back to the store to see if any alterations need to be made. Then the other 5 shirts are made.

Last edited:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Carl Goldberg / CEGO.

He doesn't like the word "bespoke," but has an MTM option and a totally custom, your-own-paper-pattern option. The latter is done on premises, with generally super-fast turn-around, in lower midtown NYC.

The shop is no-frills compared to T&A et al, but price point is significantly lower.

Reminds me I need to make a few orders.

G

Griffindork

I'm not a huge fan of T&A in NYC. There is no real trial shirt. They just take measurements and create a shirt from them. You can go back and make tweaks, and if your shirt is really off they will make you a new one, but I haven't found them to be able to execute small changes that make the difference between what I would consider to be an ok shirt and a true bespoke product. They are also very "English" with a rigid feel, no hand stitching and a heavyness to them that, for me, borders on uncomfortable. I've never been able to fully understand whether the computer is used to actually generate your pattern or whether the pattern is hand-drafted and simply saved on a computer, but they dont look or feel like a handmade product.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not midtown, but Hermès made me a really nice shirt a number of years ago. They did a muslin try-on as well. Price, however, is probably :crazy: these days... Also, I heard a rumor that Geneva is making for Paul Stuart Custom w/ a 1 shirt minimum.

Last edited:
G

Griffindork

Hermes does make a lovely shirt, but the starting price is $1100.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Note sure why the OP seems unenthused by Geneva.

My second pic would be Ercole. They key to good shirtmakers, as someone has already pointed out, is their willingness to go through several iterations on the first shirt and make minor tweaks to satisfy the customer. In my experience, both Geneva and Ercole fit the bill.

Freddy Vandecasteele

Reaction score
Sorry you lost your source.
Who was the shirtmaker?
Can you buy your patern?
What is your price range?
Many questions, to give you help
If made on the premise is important to you, Your options are very restricted.
You are in an aerea where you have options/
Good luckon your shearch If you are looking for hand work made in the US
There is only one
Freddy Vandecasteele

Last edited:

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are some if the best OTR options? For a 6'2" 200lbs gent looking for fitted body, high armholes and nice details

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads