NY Times: Why Designer Clothes Cost So Much

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RFX45, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Rye GB

Rye GB Angry Englishman

Then your nuts.
    Their stuff is actually nice and you don't really fuck around with billionaires who have some amazingly talented designers working for them and the fact the don't need to skimp on their factories or fabric. Don't hate on them because of grwoing pains or whatever show they started at. These girls have been into fashion and the understanding of fashion for many many years.

The girl's know their stuff, use excellent fabrics and manufacturing facilities. My wife was their Design Director at Mary Kate & Ashley for 5+ years.

2. Rye GB

Rye GB Angry Englishman

Doesn't just have to be trousers, but cotton twills and jerseys hold the color best. I've done this with tees and shirts (it's pretty easy), and you can mix things up to get the color and effect that you want. Also, I did something similar recently (thanks Rye) with jeans to give them a darker cast.

You're welcome homey, PM me with any other needs, I don't hang around these parts to often anymore.

3. Lostinthesupermarket

Lostinthesupermarket Senior member

4. borderline

borderline Senior member

$500 chinos... wow, now I have really seen it all.

The reason to not spend this much is: what happens when you get tomato sauce on the pants?

Well there is a more modern way to do this than what my great-gramps did using a wash basin, limestone and 130 degree heat of the Jaipur sun.

Photos would be interesting...

5. Razele

Razele Senior member

Fabric is really expensive if you want it to be

The speed of the weaving has alot to do with strength and longevity of the cloth, good cloth is woven slowly and has multiple stages of finishing, cheap cloth does not.

6. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

the NYT article about $500 chino's really validates my love of finding $50 pants that fit great.

he'll i'll even splurge on $10-$15 on hemming if the pants are long.

but at the same time reading the article i understand why some $500 chinos are in fact $500... so if I ever buy $500 chinos i better be sure that they actually are worth it like the ones in the article, not just because it has label/patch.

also $500 chinos better fit, because well, they should.

The article just told you why $500 are never worth it. They all use cost plus pricing. An increase of $1 in production costs mean you pay an additional $5. That is the power of branding.

7. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

the row looks alright. kinda like a cross between RL and RO, i think

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

The girl's know their stuff, use excellent fabrics and manufacturing facilities. My wife was their Design Director at Mary Kate & Ashley for 5+ years.

It's got rye's and fok's approva? That's it I'm MONSTERKOPPING now.

9. Lostinthesupermarket

Lostinthesupermarket Senior member

Fabric is really expensive if you want it to be The speed of the weaving has alot to do with strength and longevity of the cloth, good cloth is woven slowly and has multiple stages of finishing, cheap cloth does not.
    I know that, but these figures still seem on the high side to me. For example Harris Tweed, which is hand loomed, can be procured for around $24 per yard and it's basic ingredients are more expensive than cotton gaberdine. Of course it is possible that the BoO guys may be using some super expensive dyeing procedure that the article doesn't mention....

10. niwawa

niwawa Senior member

That's why we have to buy clothing at least at 70% off or more.

11. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

For example Harris Tweed, which is hand loomed, can be procured for around $24 per yard and it's basic ingredients are more expensive than cotton gaberdine.

I thought the quote on the fabric's pricing was a little high, as well. I've seen some relatively expensive fabric that's ordered custom, but seems like that company would have a big enough bulk order so it's not as much an issue.

Then again, I don't know shit.

12. Scoundrel

Scoundrel Senior member

Great find. So the designer wholesales the garment to the store for double its cost. Store then multiplies wholesale price by 2.5. Got it. Always wondered how it worked. [​IMG]

13. Biggie_Robs

Biggie_Robs Senior member

Great find.

So the designer wholesales the garment to the store for double its cost. Store then multiplies wholesale price by 2.5. Got it. Always wondered how it worked. [​IMG]

Indeed. If it ain't 60% off, (and you're not buying wholesale) then you're handing profit to the retailer.

If you are buying wholesale then you gotta get shit 50% off, or you're giving profit to the manufacturer.

If you want to pay what something cost to make, then it has to be 80% off.

These percentages/proportions are good to know.

14. DLester

DLester Senior member

Indeed. If it ain't 60% off, (and you're not buying wholesale) then you're handing profit to the retailer.

If you are buying wholesale then you gotta get shit 50% off, or you're giving profit to the manufacturer.

If you want to pay what something cost to make, then it has to be 80% off.

These percentages/proportions are good to know.

okay but all those people have to make a profit now and then or no one will bother making decent clothes.

15. Listi

Listi Senior member

[​IMG] I approve of this.