• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NY Times: Why Designer Clothes Cost So Much

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ciadd40
i'm pretty sure no one here dressed like **** for 15 years then one day just woke up and thought, "damn that bless hooded headscarf looks dope, i'm gonna buy it along with this rick owens tee, dior jeans and dbss boots."
You'd be surprised, actually...
redface.gif
But you have a really good point. A lot of people buy that **** as a gateway drug and wholeheartedly expect it to be exactly what it is - cheap clothes, and then move onto more expensive stuff over time.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
noted.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by "one day just woke up". Literally, of course not, so the comment doesn't hold much weight. Close to it? Sometimes, ya.

user7

Reaction score
What's with all the Olsen hate? Jealousy?

I would neither buy nor not buy a piece of clothing because it's from their company. Refusing to buy it because it's from them is as weird to me as buying it only because you like them.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me its more of an overall abhorence to their coke-snorting, anorexia-loving lifestyle. And also because they're more known for movies than devoting themselves to making clothes, which is what styleforum jizzes over.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
To me its more of an overall abhorence to their coke-snorting, anorexia-loving lifestyle. And also because they're more known for movies than devoting themselves to making clothes, which is what styleforum jizzes over.

itt people pretend to know people they don't know at all

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
Do you know how many designers have/had drug problems?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hell Marc Jacobs missed shows or started very late because of his problems. I KNOW tons of designers that are snorting their lives away.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marc Jacobs isn't supposed to be a face for a generation of the female kind though, he's the man behind the smoke and mirrors. That's why I'd be reserved with purchasing one of their creations. Purely on the fact that by doing so I'm supporting the systematic dumbing down of a whole generation.

geeti

Reaction score
which designer brand do you guys think has the best value-for-money?

I often think you get what you pay for (expensive stuff generally has better quality), but there is also the point where you pay extra only for that wow-not-everyone-can-afford-this feel/ the brand.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything with a readily recognisable brand that has "prestige" automatically is not worth the price you pay at retail. Personally, I think only the unmarked but super well made items are really worth it. A WvG shirt for example, is automatically better than a Band of Outsiders purely on the basis that the latter is an established brand name. Likewise for a Pure Blue Japans vs Evisu.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
both you 2 might want to think **** through a bit more than that super basic level you're at now. something automatically being better because of lack of branding is pretty stupid and incorrect or a small label being better than larger one. quality/value are very subjective and if the question is "how long will the shirt last" the answer is usually walmart brands will outlast most all fashion stuff. Is it sourcing the best quality fabrics? Handmade? Made me workers getting good wages/benefits/treated properly? Made in the usa or italy or japan? Made by artisans who have been doing it for decades? Made by efficient machines? A unique cut or design detail? saying "i want quality" is a bit silly

geeti

Reaction score
^ geez I didn't say that lack of branding automatically makes something better.

I bet everyone understands that a good brand doesn't always translate into better quality.

There should be a point where the money you spent only goes to purchasing the brand name and not the quality. Thus back my question, which designer brands you think are at that tipping point? or is there any? it can be any shopping mall brands as well if that's not out of topic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics