NY Times: Why Designer Clothes Cost So Much

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RFX45, Apr 30, 2010.

1. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

White model looks like a man D:

for real; thought it was a men's item for a second

2. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

The fact that designers can't really copyright there ideas is fucked. Back in the day Christian LeQua was being knocked off before his collection came out and he in returned knocked off his knock off. Crazy shit. However there really needs to be a time period for the designers to get there wears out there before the " fast fashion " knocks them off.

Designers can copyright their designs, provided they are actually unique. I know that NB recently sued someone (LV?) for knocking them off and there are other examples as well. Levi I believe was able to stop people from doing an exact replica of their classic jeans.
    The problem is how can you say a black tee is in any way unique? Or a gingham check? Or really most clothes.
    Too use epaulet as an example, there is not a single thing that he is designing that has not already been done. Seersucker shirts? Been done. The fact that his is green does not warrant a copyright. He might be doing a better job, the fit, fabric, and finish might be superior but you can't copyright quality tailoring or a nice fit.

This is not a knock on Mike, but it is the reality that a designer has to deal with.
    It would be interesting as a legal question to see how far you could push the idea of a copyrightable design. I know a musician can copyright a beat, so in some sense it makes sense to be able to copyright a particular cut and pattern+notions.

Anyway, come with the after dinner shirts already and maybe we can talk.

3. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Well the international e-commerce thing fucks it up too, you can get protection for your designs in some countries but not all are going to grant/enforce that and since you can essentially get anything from anywhere, it'll end up in plebeian hands

Oh well, I've had my fair share of fast fashion shit with my 1 H&M shirt, I'll stick to things I enjoy wearing

4. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Designers can copyright their designs, provided they are actually unique. I know that NB recently sued someone (LV?) for knocking them off and there are other examples as well. Levi I believe was able to stop people from doing an exact replica of their classic jeans.
    The problem is how can you say a black tee is in any way unique? Or a gingham check? Or really most clothes.
    Too use epaulet as an example, there is not a single thing that he is designing that has not already been done. Seersucker shirts? Been done. The fact that his is green does not warrant a copyright. He might be doing a better job, the fit, fabric, and finish might be superior but you can't copyright quality tailoring or a nice fit.

This is not a knock on Mike, but it is the reality that a designer has to deal with.
    It would be interesting as a legal question to see how far you could push the idea of a copyrightable design. I know a musician can copyright a beat, so in some sense it makes sense to be able to copyright a particular cut and pattern+notions.

Anyway, come with the after dinner shirts already and maybe we can talk.

This is why designers should quit putting out the same stuff but with slightly different fit or details and start INNOVATING. At least this designer realized this and started coming up with original and patented designs.

5. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

This is why designers should quit putting out the same stuff but with slightly different fit or details and start INNOVATING. At least this designer realized this and started coming up with original and patented designs.

Problem is Company ABC in a foreign country can copy the same design and nothing will happen to them. International laws are fucked. Sure a patent here will protect (for the most part) a product others from copying and selling them here, but it's almost fair game in other parts of the world.

6. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Problem is Company ABC in a foreign country can copy the same design and nothing will happen to them. International laws are fucked. Sure a patent here will protect (for the most part) a product others from copying and selling them here, but it's almost fair game in other parts of the world.

woosh

7. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

good luck knocking off aitor throup bichiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzz

8. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Why does it matter so much to you? Rappers wear Margiela and Raf, so by association those brands are no longer cool and we shouldn't wear them? All of our brands are worn by celebs so therefore we shouldn't be wearing any of them, right?

who wears it and who designs/backs it are two entirely different matters

9. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

woosh

I lol'd

10. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    Levi's sues for the tab and the archs. Trovatta( sp) tried to sue forever 21 for blatently knocking off one of their pieces to the exact color and lost.
    You may not copyright a pattern but a logo or a tab like Levis is enforacable and they will go after you. A print of a fabric can be copy righted as well.

The after dinner shirt will be out soon. Don't even get me started. beofre dinner shirts should be out in a week or two most. I went to the factory and they were getting readt to be sent out to be dyed.

Bona- I don't agree. If the olsen twins are qualified to make something and a famous rapper isn't and he gets more credit I think thats kind of whack, no?
    I would rather see the rapper help a rising star and help build a future fashion house.
    Kayne is a dick ( to me) but he bailed out BoO but let's Scott do what he does and Kayne helps support his investment.
    Does that make sense????

11. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

noted

12. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

What famous rapper gets credit for making shit? Roc-a-wear?

13. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    jay-z and puffy or whatever he is calling himself now. Both brands are taking a hit now but still they sell because of their names. There are lesser brands like apple bottom jeans done by Nellie.

I would buy from the olsen twins before russell simons wife or ex-wife.

14. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

The twins went to school to become designers. So they are loaded big deal.
    I could care less about the twins they both could get hit by a bus and I wouldn't bat two eye lashes but to say their product is crappier than other by just their name is silly.
    that's all I am trying to say.

I do wish people would support more undiscovered designer and want to put quality first but sadly that isn't the case.

I haven't read this entire thread yet, but this caught my eye. This is what Tim Gunn always says on project runway, anything to help young designers get discovered is a good thing.

15. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Bona- I don't agree. If the olsen twins are qualified to make something and a famous rapper isn't and he gets more credit I think thats kind of whack, no?
    I would rather see the rapper help a rising star and help build a future fashion house.
    Kayne is a dick ( to me) but he bailed out BoO but let's Scott do what he does and Kayne helps support his investment.
    Does that make sense????

yeah, that's the one thing i was gonna say - if the row has talented young designers doing good things for them (and it sounds like they do), i wish those people success, luck, etc.

but this is sort of my point - to me, kanye is good brand association (not that i can or would buy band)
    he makes a lot of good music, has had a huge impact on the industry over the last decade, is a highly visible fashion icon, etc.

i don't hate/resent the olsen twins, nor do i think they're spoiled morons
    as i said, i believe you (and rye/fok) that they know what they're doing and are committed to making a high quality product

but if i have to go into this much detail to explain why the olsen twins are a negative association for me, and probably would be for lots of other guys in their target market, i don't know what to tell you