• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NY Times says the era of $300 premium jeans is over

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The New York Times can kiss ******.

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
I appreciate the fact that they included brands such as acne and 45rpm and not only brands like rock and republic, true religion, etc. in defining "premium" jeans.

I don't really think it's a great article. All it really says is "due to the current recession, premium denim prices have dropped closer to $200". That doesn't mean that there is no market for the jeans still, just the prices have to be lowered.

To me, it's like saying "the era of $400 video game systems is over". Sure a system like the PS3 has dropped to $300, but there is still a demand for it.

It doesn't say the market's tastes have changed, it only says people have less money so they want to pay less. Makes sense.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Well, they should cost about $200. The reason the japanese repros at self edge and BiG cost almost $300 is mostly due to the japan importing thing

Still don't understand exactly whytrue religion, r&r, sfamk, ksubi, j brand etc... are $300. I know girls with them and most of the designs are ugly and some seem kinda cheap looking/feeling. Although, i will admit that some of their fits do wonders to some girls' asses and legs

Unicornwarrior, you're right. Once PS4 and xbox 720 or whatever come out there will be the demand for $400 video game systems again

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unicornwarrior
"due to the current recession, premium denim prices have dropped closer to $200"
They have? They aren't talking about "premium" jeans. Rather, the article refers to "designer jeans"- basically any crap jeans made by a famous brand that has some arbitrarily high price tag attached to it. There is a big different between the two, IMO.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
They have?

They aren't talking about "premium" jeans. Rather, the article refers to "designer jeans"- basically any crap jeans made by a famous brand that has some arbitrarily high price tag attached to it. There is a big different between the two, IMO.

+1

This article has nothing to do with the products at BiG and Self Edge. It's referring to the Sevens, True Religions, and Ksubi's of the world. The mainstream customer - especially female customers - are no longer spending anywhere near what they used to on these products.

Denimhead jeans have always been different. A good store can explain to you why a pair of Pure Blue Japan's are $350. God himself couldn't explain why a pair of Rock and Republic's are.

Interesting that Evisu has lost money for the past 4 years. That guy has his work cut out for him. Whoever the hell was running that brand before did their very best to totally destroy their image. They might consider starting over from scratch.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
They aren't talking about "premium" jeans. Rather, the article refers to "designer jeans"- basically any crap jeans made by a famous brand that has some arbitrarily high price tag attached to it. There is a big different between the two, IMO.

Agreed. The author isn't a denimhead, and didn't really distinguish between the varying types of denim available.

But there's a good point being made ... if the general public can't distinguish (or doesn't care) about the difference in quality between 7FAM and, say, RRL or KMW, does it spell the end of high prices for the latter group overall? That is, will the general consensus become "Paying $300 for *any* pair of jeans is crazy, and I won't do it"? It could be spell trouble for true, high end denim.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
Agreed. The author isn't a denimhead, and didn't really distinguish between the varying types of denim available.

But there's a good point being made ... if the general public can't distinguish (or doesn't care) about the difference in quality between 7FAM and, say, RRL or KMW, does it spell the end of high prices for the latter group overall? That is, will the general consensus become "Paying $300 for *any* pair of jeans is crazy, and I won't do it"? It could be spell trouble for true, high end denim.

What's going to be lost is a cross-over customer. Denimheads will still buy the jeans that they love. Regular dudes will pick a cheaper option. Probably more of an issue for RRL than KMW. And this is a much bigger deal for the womens market than mens. I'm willing to bet that around 80-85% of the premium denim market was womens.

We opened last May, and the recession mentality had already set in with female customers. I never even attempted to carry expensive denim for them. We launched with Cheap Monday and Naked and Famous. After a few months it became only Cheap Monday. It's a hard market these days.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a bit put off that they placed DH and TR in the same category.... the $580 seems a bit random though, it's definitely not the highest and neither is it the lowest. No complaints here if DH drops their prices a bit, I need some DH jawnz in my life
Originally Posted by Epaulet
+1 This article has nothing to do with the products at BiG and Self Edge. It's referring to the Sevens, True Religions, and Ksubi's of the world. The mainstream customer - especially female customers - are no longer spending anywhere near what they used to on these products. Denimhead jeans have always been different. A good store can explain to you why a pair of Pure Blue Japan's are $350. God himself couldn't explain why a pair of Rock and Republic's are. Interesting that Evisu has lost money for the past 4 years. That guy has his work cut out for him. Whoever the hell was running that brand before did their very best to totally destroy their image. They might consider starting over from scratch.
Evisu International /= Evisu Japan. Evisu Japan still has credibility with denimheads whereas Evisu International has never been all that huge.
Agreed. The author isn't a denimhead, and didn't really distinguish between the varying types of denim available. But there's a good point being made ... if the general public can't distinguish (or doesn't care) about the difference in quality between 7FAM and, say, RRL or KMW, does it spell the end of high prices for the latter group overall? That is, will the general consensus become "Paying $300 for *any* pair of jeans is crazy, and I won't do it"? It could be spell trouble for true, high end denim.
Could potentially mean that our prices will go up if they lose the everyday customer

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if the general public can't distinguish (or doesn't care) about the difference in quality between 7FAM and, say, RRL or KMW, does it spell the end of high prices for the latter group overall? That is, will the general consensus become "Paying $300 for *any* pair of jeans is crazy, and I won't do it"? It could be spell trouble for true, high end denim.

Not at all. Kiya can't keep stock on his shelves and he opened a second shop in the middle of the recession. People who actually care about denim rather than the label will always pay for truly premium jeans.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
the people who are willing to pay $300 for a pair of jeans aren't going to stop because of a recession

this reminds me of everyone saying apple NEEDS to lower their prices, this is a recession!! and then apple announces their best quarter in history. yes, there is a recession, but people who were going to buy these things are still going to buy them.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Still evisu might've lost potential crossover customers to their japan line considering the way evisu internation soiled their name/logo somewhat. Those who were already into evisu don't care but i'm not surprised that evisu doesn't get a lot of love on the forums here partly because of the abomination of the international line.

spreadcollar

Reaction score
ftfy

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
the people who are willing to pay $300 for a pair of paisley velveteen pants aren't going to stop because of a recession

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics