• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NY Times says the era of $300 premium jeans is over

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shoulsd note that this type of adjustment is not just in denim. Krane Man, prices, for example, are lower than those for FW08 (see my interview with Ken Chow. He comments on this). This is pretty common in men's contemporary.

naaaaate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
The denim is decent but people like me are attracted to the iconic cut moreso than the highest quality denim that can be found on the likes of workwear type jeans ie samurai, flat head, etc.
APC NS cut has a shelf life of a ******* twinkie.

Andrew.Wall62

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unicornwarrior
It doesn't say the market's tastes have changed, it only says people have less money so they want to pay less. Makes sense.

+1

dixonmanor

Reaction score
Yeah, "Japanese selvege" has totally become a marketing thing, but with Albam, I don;t think they're ******* around. The jeans were crazy stiff to begin with, and after nearly a year of almost daily wear, they still feel and look great. No crotch blow-out, minimal knee bags, rear pockets don't have holes, and the color remains dark and fresh. I like to wear my clothes hard and don't typically buy new stuff 'til the old stuff's worn out; I'm not the kind of denim enthusiast who's into stacks and fades and alla that- I just like my **** to last. And Albam's **** lasts. Granted, I haven't washed or soaked 'em, but still. That said, I still covet the higher-end, actually artisanal stuff. I'm just not willing to drop $300+ on jeans... I'd rather take a week off and visit my brother in New Orleans. To each their own.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We're going to have to disagree with this article.
That's our official stance.

Outside of that, i've seen some mentions that Evisu Japan is different than Evisu International.
I'd like to think that's true, but it's not. Evisu Japan has for the most part gone to **** too, and it's been this way for over two or three years. Most items are made in China and the quality of certain goods has dropped below an acceptable level for a brand as important as Evisu.
Please don't ask why i just bought a pair of $300 sweat pants at the flagship in Ebisu last week.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
We're going to have to disagree with this article.
That's our official stance.

Outside of that, i've seen some mentions that Evisu Japan is different than Evisu International.
I'd like to think that's true, but it's not. Evisu Japan has for the most part gone to **** too, and it's been this way for over two or three years. Most items are made in China and the quality of certain goods has dropped below an acceptable level for a brand as important as Evisu.
Please don't ask why i just bought a pair of $300 sweat pants at the flagship in Ebisu last week.

Yea, i honestly haven't paid attention since that Evisu jeans tour the sufu guys did. I remember those jeans pretty decent and didn't know that evisu heritage stuff went to **** as well. Too bad

On the jeans/shoes/suit longevity convo, some people wear their jeans 5 days a week and wear them hard biking, manual labor and other stuff like that so of course they're going to wear out faster. If people had a bunch of jeans and rotated them a lot or only broke out their jeans for special occasions like most do for $4k suits and shoes, i'm sure they'd last forever as well.

I kinda would like to see an MC guy go all superdenim and wear the same $4000 suit and $2000 shoes every day, biking, jogging, labor, travel, and beating them day in and day out. Would be funny at least.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Yea, i honestly haven't paid attention since that Evisu jeans tour the sufu guys did. I remember those jeans pretty decent and didn't know that evisu heritage stuff went to **** as well. Too bad

On the jeans/shoes/suit longevity convo, some people wear their jeans 5 days a week and wear them hard biking, manual labor and other stuff like that so of course they're going to wear out faster. If people had a bunch of jeans and rotated them a lot or only broke out their jeans for special occasions like most do for $4k suits and shoes, i'm sure they'd last forever as well.

I kinda would like to see an MC guy go all superdenim and wear the same $4000 suit and $2000 shoes every day, biking, jogging, labor, travel, and beating them day in and day out. Would be funny at least.

You'd look like a homeless dude who bought a $20 suit at the thrift store within a few weeks :p

El_Enzo

Reaction score
I love how the writer talks about "the market correcting itself" since it's totally true. Brands like 7, rock & republic, evisu, james rast etc aren't really that expensive which make them have normal demand curves. While brands like Dior Homme, Dolce etc when the price goes up, the demand for it goes up as well since they're Velben Goods. So, the price for Diors shouldn't really change at all since they know they would still have a market for it. While on the other hand, sub-premium brands would need to change their prices.

Lerglas

Reaction score
Mr. Rosso of Diesel also sensed it is time for a change. Last week, he met with his team of designers to give them a challenge, he said, to reinvent denim in a “younger way, a fresher way.”

Damn I hate diesel

Baby Pink

Reaction score
don't always trust what you read in the papers lad
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh my, I must really be out of times. I didn't even realize the era of $300 has come and gone.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El_Enzo
I love how the writer talks about "the market correcting itself" since it's totally true. Brands like 7, rock & republic, evisu, james rast etc aren't really that expensive which make them have normal demand curves. While brands like Dior Homme, Dolce etc when the price goes up, the demand for it goes up as well since they're Velben Goods. So, the price for Diors shouldn't really change at all since they know they would still have a market for it. While on the other hand, sub-premium brands would need to change their prices.

I am absolutely certain TR, for example, is a veblen good. They basically made a lot of price points based solely on how thick and ugly the stitching was.

I think it's more like "people who buy jeans just because they have money to blow and want to look like a celebrity is over. people who were buying high fashion brands (Dior, for example) are fashion hobbyists and will continue buying high fashion."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics