• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NY Times Article on Trend of New Barbershops

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought some people here might want to read this week's NY Times article about the recent proliferation of old style (?) barbershops . Quite a few of these places have been mention already in SF threads.

Full article Here:

http://tinyurl.com/23xszjt

snippet below
=========
EARLIER this month, Tristan Chirico was trying to do some last-minute errands in New York before flying back to Jordan and his job teaching theater at a prep school there. The most pressing item on his list was a haircut.

His plan was to head into Manhattan from the friend's apartment in Brooklyn where he was staying. But then, right there on Smith Street, the main drag of Carroll Gardens, he happened across a brand-new barbershop, Persons of Interest, and decided to pop in.

It was a revelation.

"As soon as I saw the place, I felt this deep, inner yearning," he said. "It's very striking, with these red barber chairs and this fantastic photo-mural. And it's rare to see well-dressed, well-groomed men cutting the hair of equally well-dressed guys."
==========

DULLAH

Reaction score
That's not really a trend....it's a generational shift...likely to be permanent.....and the snakes that've been ****** them girls in the Sportclips, greatclips, supercuts, BoRics joints are MAAAAAADDDD. It's only a matter of time until actual barbershops are as prevalent again in white/brown neighborhoods as they always have been in black neighborhoods.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I go to an old school barber shop, run by three guys, the youngest of which is 60, been in the same place for 40 plus years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads