NY Times Article on StyleForum

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Jan 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The article actually said very little about how SF got started. Anyone care to share info on that? I thought it was started by Fok, no?

No, I didn't start it, J. did. I was a Johnny come lately. If you look at the user list and look at join dates, you'll see that I hesitated a full month before I joined. There are a couple of posters still active who predate me. Essentially, J started the site because a bunch of us were posting on the GQ forums, didn't like it, and he was the only one with both the motivation and the technical ability, to start his own forum. Several dozen of us migrated to the new site. And that's how it all started. More bedtime stories later. If you are all good, maybe we'll talk about the Frenchman with the oversized suits tomorrow. Or about Manton's early skirmishes with the son of an African dictator (for real.) Or about the Australian who drank pee and was universally ignored for a few months before he realized it.

2. Matt

Matt [email protected]

The article actually said very little about how SF got started. Anyone care to share info on that? I thought it was started by Fok, no?
    this predates me by a couple of years, but basically the story behind it was that J got sick of the shitstorm that was the GQ forums, and said screw you all, I'm making my own site. Steve B was OG I think, others still around include Ambulance Chaser, Manton and GQGeek. Fok is OG too, but wasn't the site's founder. Who else is left from those days? edit: this is interesting... http://www.styleforum.net/memberlist...joindate&pp=50

3. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

What kind of shitstorms were started on the GQ forums? Are those boards still around or active?
    More bedtime stories later. If you are all good, maybe we'll talk about the Frenchman with the oversized suits tomorrow. Or about Manton's early skirmishes with the son of an African dictator (for real.) Or about the Australian who drank pee and was universally ignored for a few months before he realized it.
    I think everyone would love to hear these at some point. Especially the African dictator.

4. Matt

Matt [email protected]

I guess I should let the boys who were around then answer it, but to my understanding, basically lots of trolling and infighting and all of that stuff that of course would never ever happen here.

5. LA Guy

this predates me by a couple of years, but basically the story behind it was that J got sick of the shitstorm that was the GQ forums, and said screw you all, I'm making my own site. Steve B was OG I think, others still around include Ambulance Chaser and GQGeek. Who else is left from those days?

More or less right. Other right honorables include Manton, Mike C (who still reads the site, but rarely posts anymore,) me, Bradford, bengal-stripe, clarinet player, and stu... all of us joined within the first 2 months, and are still active, though, I have to say, none of us have 30000 posts, unlike some others.

6. Matt

Matt [email protected]

Or about Manton's early skirmishes with the son of an African dictator (for real.)
    I've never heard that one. Can we lure Manton out to tell it?

7. entrero

entrero Senior member

+1 on African dictator

8. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

+1 on African dictator

Which one?

9. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

Honorable mentions go to "Marcus": one of the original 2002 members, 13th person to sign up, still active to this day, and only 65 posts. That's awesome.

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Honorable mentions go to "Marcus": one of the original 2002 members, 13th person to sign up, still active to this day, and only 65 posts. That's awesome.

Really?

Has he been in a coma for 8 years or what?

11. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

now look at us, all grown and dignified... [​IMG]

12. Matt

Matt [email protected]

Yup, and also : mram65 Join date: March 7th, 2002 Posts: 55 Last active today That's great. We have spammers match that in a few minutes sometimes. Both average .02 posts per day [​IMG]

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I also possess the enviable 2002 join date but I still lack the clear metal collar stays.

14. LA Guy

I also possess the enviable 2002 join date but I still lack the clear metal collar stays.

Nice. I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, LK is definitely OG.

15. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I'm like NuWave.