• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NY Tailor--Bruce Cameron Clark

Lint Brush

Reaction score
Passed by this store on Lexington near 71st . . "Bruce Cameron Clark, Bespoke Clothier".  Anyone know this fellow or his work?  It's next door to Vincent and Edgar bespoke shoes . . .

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
He's not a tailor, more of a wardrobe desinger. The clothes are outsourced. The prices are high. What you're paying for, really, is convenience and his taste. More for rich guys who don't know much about clothes, want to wear good stuff, and are happy to pay others to think about it for them.

Lint Brush

Reaction score
Thanks for the info . . .I will, needless to say, not be patronizing the establishment (I'm not rich and I'd rather make my own fashion mistakes).

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's nicely made, and from what I have seen, extremely bold. But there are probably better options in NYC for the price...

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I added pics of three BCC items to the 'bespoke gallery' thread, if you are interested.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
I am a customer. I recommend him.

First, Bruce doesn't hide the fact that he isn't a tailor. He uses an outside tailor and shirtmaker. He uses top people, and he is involved in the manufacturing process. There are other clothiers who out-source but lie that they have their workshop off-premises. Bruce doesn't play that deception.

Second, Bruce is more than a stylist and wardrobe adviser although he gave me some key advice which turned around my outlook on clothing for the better. (His advice was worth more than all all of my prior bespoke suits.) He is involved in the production in that he takes the measurements, is invoved in the pattern making, handles the alterations and changes to the pattern, and does the fitting. Of the non-tailors that I have dealt with he has the most knowledge and ability. In other words, he knows how to make clothes (suits and shirts), he knows what is needed in the pattern, and he knows how to make the adjustments. He knows more than an eminent designer-clothier that I have used.

Bruce has spent at least 30 years in the biz and many years in Savile Row and the environs. He was in charge of bespoke shirtings at the fabled Tommy Nutter. The shirts that he has made for me fit better than Turnbull's. He made changes to my pattern in his shop. His shirts have a little more flair than Turnbull. E.g., his three button cuff is a little longer. In other words, his shirts are not cookie-cutter copies.

Bruce made for me a sportscoat and trouser. Both are excellent. The sportscoat is better than a Savile Row house that I have been using for a few years.

His style is somewhat bold and theatrical. He encourages a beautiful, contrasting lining which is beautifully handsewn. He likes shape to a garment. He is not for those seeking a sack suit.

He offers real bespoke and MTM. He prefers bespoke since he has more control over the process as compared to MTM which is done by a local factory.

His delivery times are short. He can turn around a bespoke shirt order (no minimum) within 2 weeks. He can turn around a bespoke suit order in about 5 weeks.

He'a a real, English character.

He's expensive but within the same price range as Turnbull and some of the local tailors. As compared to some RTW items down the street (e.g., RTW shirts at $400) Clark provides honest value for the money.

Cheers.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Dear Jonathan,

It was nice meeting you.

You and the other members should feel free to call upon Bruce to see whether he "bespeaks" your requirements. Feel free to use my name.

Mark Seitelman
(a/k/a Son of Brummell)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Has anyone used the services of Stephen Kempson, who seems to offer the same services in NY as Clark does?
Not me personally, but I have friends who have. They are quite satisfied, especially with the shirts, which are made in England. I think they start at $275.

arvi

Reaction score
Passed by this store on Lexington near 71st . . "Bruce Cameron Clark, Bespoke Clothier".  Anyone know this fellow or his work?  It's next door to Vincent and Edgar bespoke shoes . . .
i'm feeling really lost now..i live in this neighborhood and shopping is a passion of mine..don't know how i could have missed both of these establishments unless they're not street level..please advise..thanks

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Kempson is a little further south, 445 Park at 56th.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Bruce Clark has a second floor shop on Lexington Ave. bet. 70th and 71st St. on the east side of the street. He has a plaque on the ground level, and his name is painted on his windows. ("Bruce Cameron Clark, Bespoke Clothier")

Bruce is a one man band, therefore, don't be surprised is he isn't in. However, he usually is at this shop. Since he lives two blocks away he makes appointments for the convenience of his customers (e.g., 7:30 am or a Sunday).

He is open and friendly and has no problem in discussing clothes and his services. As I indicated in an earlier post, he is a real, English character.

I do not know where the other gentleman does business.

dorian

Reaction score
The real character with billowing gray hair, glasses and hot pink linings on his suits?

I always see this gentleman on Lexington between 70th and 71st streets, so my guess is that would be Mr. Clark.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Yes, that's Bruce. He is the unofficial mayor of his stretch of Lexington Avenue.

He just made for me two shirts. Very nice, indeed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads